WA Individual Insurance Coverage Issue

greggipod
on 4/27/09 12:21 pm - Lynnwood, WA
My name is Greg. I'm 29 and live in Lynnwood.

I have researched WLS for the past couple of years, and I am now at the point where I am ready to start the process. Of course, this will not be easy--as I have already hit my first roadblock.

I am a full-time college student and I work part-time--so I am ineligible for an employer-sponsored group insurance plan. In looking for an individual health care plan, I am finding that all of the insurance companies that I have called so far have RNY as an exclusion on all individual plans. Are there insurance companies out there that cover RNY on individual plans? Or am I in search of a unicorn?!

I feel a pressing need for an intervention for the sake of my health--as all the men on my father's side of the family have/had Type II Diabete Mellitus in addition to having/had heart disease. My father passed away last April of a heart attack--at the age of 69.
Sheryl R.
on 4/28/09 1:19 am - Buckley, WA
Hi Greg,
I know I have seen conversations on OH about this topic. It seems that the answer was usually what you have found out so far, that individual policies normally exclude wls.  In the corner of my mind, though, it seems like someone did find coverage.  Have you tried the OH search engine?  You might be able to come up with some of those earlier posts.

The best to you.
Sheryl

Only "obese" now!

pam H.
on 4/30/09 2:48 am - Renton, WA
 Hi Greg! I have a few ideas you might consider. I am very sympathetic to your situation. You could consider switching jobs. I know you need to work part-time now. I work in a local hospital, and most offer health insurance if you work at least 24 hours a week. I know Starbucks used to offer health insurance for those who worked at least 17 hours a week, but I don't know if that's still true.

You could also check out going self-pay in Mexico. Check out the Mexico board. I recall reading about many OH members going self-pay in Mexico for thousands less than is charged herein the US, and by most accounts, they were very pleased with their care.

The last suggestion I also read about here is asking a friend or relative to "sponser" you, ie lend 
or give you the money for surgery. Also, there are companies who lend money for WLS. If you are low income and qualify for medicare or medicaid, UW Hospital does WLS, but I know the waiting list is long. I hope this helps. Don't give up ! It might not happen this year, but it will happen! Most of us have had alot of roadblocks thrown in our way, but stuck with it, and eventually had our surgery.( I had a hospital program close down the week I was to come in for my preop appointment and had to start the whole process all over again! ) Hang in there!

vitalady
on 5/4/09 11:53 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
WA is kind of a waste land for ins that covers WLS or anything to do with it.

I had individual, then I got it for my small company.

The bottom line: there is no plan in WA that will cover WLS (or anything to do with it) for anybody except companies with more than 50 employees.

The good news is that a friend of mine got on part time with Starbucks in TX and she got the insurance she needed!

Soooooooooo, how's your coffee making, customer smiling skills?

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

greggipod
on 5/4/09 2:54 pm - Lynnwood, WA
 Thanks for your post--of course, it confirms the conclusion I had come to in my research.

I have worked for Starbucks in the past, and I must say my coffee making, smily-customer skills are shined up and ready to go--but I can't work for Starbucks again!  It was a HUGE eating trigger for me--all the free, sugary drinks and food discounts... I'm going to avoid that environment, because I don't want to set myself up for failure.  AGAIN!  :(

However, I was excited to learn that both Whole Foods Market and REI offer benefits to part-timers...so I'm going to pursue those opportunities (and benefit from HEALTHY discounted groceries, or discounted skiing/camping/hiking gear!)

Wish me luck!!!
Gregory
vitalady
on 5/4/09 2:58 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I can certainly see being able to munch on healthy foods or exercise gear being a BIG bonus.

In fact, I wonder if they'd accept me part time? I don't drink espresso, so Starbucks might be right for me. I've battled sugar and lost 3 times. I think I could keep my hands off that stuff now. The sandwiches look interesting. But then, sandwiches didn't cause me regain. ONLY sugar.

I'm allergic to exercise, however.

Now, Whole Foods, well, I'm all over fruit, so THAT would be a bad environment for ME.

Do you think Starbucks can use someone who already works about 16 hrs a day, doesn't like coffee and is kinda, um, not fresh faced and 20?

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Most Active