HELP! Sleeping after surgery

Donna Childress
on 4/26/09 9:02 am - Maple Valley, WA
Hi Cherryl,
Ooohhh I feel for you and I haven't even had my RNY yet.  I do have lots of difficulty sleeping at night though.  I have spondyloarthritis in my back and hips though, along with quite severe RKS (restless leg syndrome) and both those problems bring on many nights of pain and no sleep.  I'm guessing I will be very miserable just like you and so many other people that have replied to your post after my surgery.  Ugh!  Doesn't sound a bit pleasant at all.  The only thing I can possibly suggest to you is ask your doctor if he will prescribe both you and your hubby some Ambien or generic (zoldipam) to take at night.  It helps you to go to sleep and stay asleep for approximately 6-8 hours.  I use it quite often and it helps me to sleep through much of the pain - and I don't wake up with that ucky sleeping pill hangover.  You should be able to take it right along with your pain meds at night safely.  You do need a prescription for it.  I sure hope you can get some sleep.

ragadolly/Donna

rebeccaford
on 4/26/09 9:33 am - Honolulu, HI
I think I used a little bit of everyone's advice here....the biggest thing that helped me was to put a flatter type pillow up underneath my belly and then another flat one between my thighs.  Then I have a pillow under my head and then a body pillow tucked up under my whole backside.  I must look like the marshmallow man, but there is nothing like sleeping in bed. 

Rebecca
Beetle
on 4/26/09 12:58 pm - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
I was determined to NOT end up in a recliner, so I just took a deep breath and lay down.

It hurt to turn over - every time -  but only for a couple of minutes, then things settled down.

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

groha1
on 4/27/09 12:17 pm - Lacey, WA

Cherryl,
How did you sleep last night?

dewy3
on 4/27/09 2:26 pm - Rochester, WA
I managed to get about 5 hours last night.  Tonight is my first night sleeping by myself since my hubby left this morning for Utah.  I got a couple of body pillows that should help me out tonight.  I am going to have a good night and sleep through the night.  I just keep telling myself that.  LOL

Cherryl

Most Active