Determing Goal Weight

Judy O.
on 4/25/09 11:55 am - Tacoma (Parkland), WA
I've received conflicting info regarding setting my goal weight so maybe I can get a consensus from the message board. Do I set my goal weight per what the approximation Dr. S gave me or per what I want to eventually achieve? OR, do I set mini goals along the way to the loser's bench???
scott54
on 4/25/09 2:42 pm, edited 4/25/09 11:17 pm - McKenna, WA
RNY on 09/24/08 with
I was really not sure what a realistic goal weight was.  Even when I talked to the surgeon, I just through out a number without giving it much thought.  Right before surgery, I put some thought into setting my personal goal weight. 

I researched what a realistic goal was - for my surgery, lap RNY, I found that 80 percent of my excess weight was realistic.  I went to the BMI calculator here at OH.  I entered my highest weight with a goal of 80 percent which came out to 192.  Later I entered my weight on the day of surgery which came out to 187.  I settled on 190.  I am, today, at 184.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/information/post+op +planner.php

Hope it helps,
Scott
STP
on 4/25/09 5:44 pm - Tacoma, WA

With your start BMI, you are considered a WLS lightweight. I'm the same, started at 42, and currently have a BMI under 23. Setting goals along the way that are meaningful is very useful -- like "-50#", "under 200", "no longer morbidly obese", "no longer obese", etc. As a "lightweight", you may well be able to get into "normal" BMI. I chose my goal as the weight that would put me below a BMI of 25. But shorter=term goals give you more chances to celebrate! 

-- Sandy

HW 275 BMI 42, lowest weight 130

CW (sustained) 137, BMI 21   Now am:  Half the person by weight, twice the person by health!

Judy O.
on 4/27/09 12:19 pm - Tacoma (Parkland), WA
I was away from my computer this weekend but was excited to see your replies. I've taken both suggestions into consideration and have adjusted my goal weight accordingly. Thanks for the input . . . it's always nice to have feedback.
Judy O.
on 4/27/09 12:24 pm - Tacoma (Parkland), WA
I just saw my own reply and noticed that my goal was the same as in my initial request  I had changed my mind and my goald weight so many times, I find it comical that with advice, I settled on a number I had chosen before. Good minds think alike . . .
Most Active