discouraged pre op

val_aiken
on 4/27/09 2:01 am - Port Angeles, WA
Hi, I am on my 6 mo pre op diet and I am  one month in to it.  (high protein, very low carb)
I have not lost one pound.   My fasting blood sugars are rising 134 this morning.  I am exercising at least 1 hour everyday.
Val

Sheryl R.
on 4/27/09 4:54 am - Buckley, WA
Hi Val,
I'm suffering through the pre-op diet too.  Pretty sick of it. 
Have you had an appointment with Beve yet?  If not she's the nut who works with Dr. Srikanth's patients.  She might be able to help.  Other than that, calories still count so maybe check your portion sizes.  Also, drink lots of water.  Good luck!
Sheryl

Only "obese" now!

val_aiken
on 4/27/09 5:08 am - Port Angeles, WA
i've had two appointment with Beve.  I am feeling so much better.  I just want some progress. 
Val

Donna Childress
on 4/27/09 10:21 am - Maple Valley, WA
Hi Val,
I just finished my 6 months pre op diet.  Actually had to do longer than that since my doctor did not have enough information in the chart notes.  I just got my RNY surgery approved.  It was my second appeal.  In well-over 6 months I finally lost 25 pounds and that was with increasing my exercise about 600%.  Remember that muscle weighs more than fat.  So if you are exercising hard for an hour everyday you could be building up muscles - are you at least going down in pant size?  I went from size 24 down to 18 with just that 25 lbs loss.  I had months and months where I barely lost a pound.  I was also on high protein, low carbs.  What finally worked for me was cutting back on my protein portions.  I also baked and broiled meats - never fried.  I started drinking V8 vegetable juice - quite a bit of it.  It's low calorie and I found it really filled me up so I could eat smaller meat portions.
Some more advice:  Go above and beyond on insurance requirements.
I finally had my doctor weigh me once a month for the six months.  Doctor's are busy - they often don't write enough in chart notes - so I made a Diet/Exercise Plan and listed a sample of what I was eating, I had my measurements on it, my weight for that month, my blood pressure.  Then I had a section that stated my exercise plan for the month, a section for behaviorial modification, and the diet plan I was following.  I took that to my doctor for each weigh in - and had her sign it.  That finally worked for getting my RNY approved along with attaching the very little information on my chart notes.  I discovered chart notes that just had my weight, bp, date, and notes that said still following diet, were not adequate.
Hope this helps.  Make sure you have a copy of your own insurance plan - they are all different.  Mine was Boeing Traditional through Regence Blue Cross/Blue Shield.
Good Luck
ragadolly/donna

Most Active