Panniculectomy Help in Washington

m0mmy0f3
on 4/25/09 10:34 am, edited 4/25/09 10:47 am
Hi. I am in need of a panniculectomy. I still have a bunch to lose (I have been just denied 3 times by my insurance for the VSG so I haven't had WLS). I used to weight just about 500lbs. Now I am at 330. I have lost the weight on my own, but am stuck at this weight. I have had 3 c sections and have a huge (like a grade 4) pannus... I need to find a plastic surgeon that will do a panniculectomy on me and go through insurance. I do have documented rashes, prescriptions for creams, etc.. not to mention the huge pannus. Did I mention huge? LOL
Anyway, I went to a PS here in Tacoma and they were so frickin rude, I left in tears. I didn't even get to see the PS because they brought me in, saw my weight (I could tell by the look on her face that they're not "used" to seeing people like me, and came back in saying the PS doesn't even do that procedure (even after I called first, explained to the lady on the phone what I needed, they gave me a price for it!) that he only does the abdominoplasty and that a bariatric surgeon only does those.. Well, I left in tears. The other PS office I called doesn't deal with insurance at all... I need help finding a surgeon who does a panniculectomy! I looked on Virginia Mason's website under their reconstructive surgery dept. and they do list panniculectomy as a surgery, but I also read that you have to have a bmi lower than 30 I think if I can remember right... Well, obviously mine is not. Help!! Please!! I have even talked to Dr. L on OH here and he recommended going to a University training program? I don't even know what that is or how to find one? Do they go through insurance? I of course have to do that and get it approved anyway. Can anyone offer advice? I figured I'd post here in the Washington forum since I am asking a local question. Thanks so much. I love everyone here on OH I have learned so much!
Hislady
on 4/25/09 3:01 pm - Vancouver, WA
Just contact your insurance company and they should be able to tell you of any surgeons that are OK'd by them and then contact the plastic surgeon. Good luck!
m0mmy0f3
on 4/26/09 1:10 am
Thanks for your advice. I have done that though. I have a list of PS that are in my insurance plant, the problem is that when I call there, they seem like I am speaking some other language or something because they don't know what a panniculectomy is. (of course I can't speak to the surgeon directly, they're busy).
jillianD
on 4/26/09 2:15 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
The University of Washington has a training program, that is about all I know in plastics area.  You don't happen to have a hernia do you?  That really helps to get a panni done.

I wish you the best of luck.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

m0mmy0f3
on 4/26/09 3:01 am

Thanks, maybe I'll try calling them. I don't know if I have a hernia.. I guess I'd probably know real well if I did though!

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/26/09 7:13 am
I just had a consult at the University of Washington plastics place in Seattle, and they are familiar with panniculectomies, dealing with insurance, and dealing with extra skin from major weight loss. The surgeon I spoke with was the teaching surgeon, who oversees the surgeons performing the surgery. Very nice, very knowledgeable.
m0mmy0f3
on 4/26/09 7:53 am
Thank you very much for the info. I will look into this!
morgansmommy
on 4/27/09 10:54 am - Gig Harbor, WA
Hi Bearmom,
I am going to the UW on May 18th for a TT consult. Sounds like you had a good experience.
Mary

vitalady
on 4/26/09 2:31 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Will your insurance cover RNY or DS? I mean, Dr. Srikanth is one of 2 doctors in the area that pretty much offer the smorgasboard of surgery types.

I would be very careful where you go for a panni. If you have your WLS with Dr. S, he does a panni you'd be proud to show.

I say this because a friend of mine had her panni at 500 lbs so she could move around. It left her quite deformed and with lymphadema she didn't have before. I suspect that because she was "fat", she was issued a rookie at the UW. Now that she has lost over 300#, she will need complete plastics, including a new panni to try to undo the damage.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

m0mmy0f3
on 4/27/09 12:54 am
Thanks for your concern. Yes, I could be approved easily for the RNY or the Lap Band, but I do not want either. I originally went to Dr. Srikanth's office for the Lap Band, but changed my mind after more research on my part. I do not want a foreign body in me and the other probs. and I do not want anything done to my intestines. I asked Dr. Srikanth about a panni removal but of course, since I haven't had WLS he won't do it. I know I wouldn't get the "perfect body" results doing a panniculectomy now because it wouldn't be with the abdominoplasty, but at least I could move around and not feel like such a circus freak. I really am not that concerned about my weight per say (maybe because I did weigh 500 lbs only 5 years ago and I'm nothing like I was then now) so even if a panni removal didn't look good now at this weight, I'd still be happy to get this off of me.
Thanks everyone!
Most Active