Anyone up for "Doing the Puyallup on Sunday"?

maxs_mom
on 4/14/09 6:31 pm, edited 4/14/09 6:33 pm - Auburn, WA
I've decided to "do the Puyallup" Spring Fair on Sunday and thought that perhaps some of you would be interested in joining me on a little excursion.  My preference would be to go in the morning (gates open at 10:00 AM) but I can really do anytime. 

The only caveat is that I have mobility issues (scoliosis, degenerative disc disease in my spine, osteoarthritis/meniscal tears in both knees) and must walk slowly and possibly with a cane given the distance/time I'll be on my feet.  I like to meander, looking at everything.  For sure I would want to see the Dock Dogs and Swifty Racing Pigs plus I like walking through the buildings where vendors hawk their wares as well as looking at the 4H kids crafts, etc.  I DO NOT DO RIDES, but am not averse to watching others do them.  Really, I'm envisioning just a laid back few hours enjoying the sights and each others company. 

If you're interested, let me know and we can make concrete plans on when/where to meet, etc.  BTW, you can buy discounted tickets in advance at Fred Meyers & Safeway or online until tomorrow.  Discounts are available on both admission and rides.

I hope someone (or a lot of someone's) will go to the fair with me!

Amy

Donna Childress
on 4/15/09 3:13 am - Maple Valley, WA
Hi Amy,

Sounds great to me!  I'm so full of stress and tension from my insurance appeal - a bit of walking, hopefully some sun, etc., sounds wonderful.  Plus it will help bring back some old memories.  My daughters were in 4-H and we did goat, dogs, then finally horses at the fair's.  Sounds like we are pretty equal in our health issues too.  I have degenerative disc disease in my spine also, with spondyloarthritis, scoliosis, etc.  My doc's keep telling me to walk more....I don't do rides either.  I'll double check with hubby to make sure he doesn't have weekend plans (we rarely do anything), and hit him up for some money....Do you happen to know the fee for getting in and parking???  Perhaps once you know how many are going - we could meet somewhere, then carpool, so we don't all get hit with expensive parking????
My phone number is:  (425) 432-0156 so we can touch base on all of this.

Thanks,
ragadolly/Donna

maxs_mom
on 4/15/09 7:43 am - Auburn, WA
We'll meet at the Gold Gate at 10:00 AM on Sunday 04-19-2009.  Here's a map:

Here's Basic Info:

Visitor Information

Dates:
April 16-19, 2009

Admission:  Purchase early bird tickets online by April 15.
Adults: $8
Students (6-18): $7 - FREE student admission Thursday, April 16
Five & under: Always FREE
Discount Admission

Parking:  FREE

Hours:
Thu: 2 pm - 10 pm - FREE kids admission (ages 0-18) Thursday, April 16
Fri & Sat: 10 am - 10 pm
Sun: 10 am - 8 pm

·         Información en Español

·         Directions

·         Facility Map

·         Parking Lot Map

·         Tour Bus Instructions (.pdf)

·         Deals & Discounts

·         ADA Accessibility Information

Entrances:
Gold, Blue, Red & Orange Gates

Rides:
Coupons: $0.75 each
Rides require 4-6 coupons.
Ride List

Rentals
Wheelchairs: $15
Electric Carts: $50
Strollers: $9
Wagons: $13

Located at the Gold Gate:

·         Thu: 2 pm - 10 pm

·         Fri & Sat: 10 am - 10 pm

·         Sun: 10 am - 8 pm

Will Call
The Fairgrounds will-call is located in the lobby of the administration building near the Gold Gate at the corner of Meridian & 9th St SW.

First Aid
Medical needs are available at the First Aid Building. (#14 on map).

Lost & Found

Lost and found articles are turned in to the reception desk on the first floor of the Administration Building near the Gold Gate. Their telephone number is (253) 841-5057. (#20 on map)

Lost Children/Parents
Both lost children and parents should report to the first floor of the Administration Building near the Gold Gate. (#20 on map)

Babies & Infants
Facilities for both men and women to change their children's diapers are available in the restrooms at the Gold, Blue and Red Gates

Smoking
In complying with Washington Initiative 901, smoking is not allowed in public buildings, or within 25 feet of building entrances, exits, windows that open and ventilation intakes.

In order to make your visit to the Fair an enjoyable experience, we appreciate your compliance with our policies noted below.

These items may not be brought into the facility:

·         Open containers

·         Alcoholic beverages

·         Controlled substances

·         Weapons

·         Bicycles

·         Animals (except aid or show animals)

·         Skates, roller blades, skateboards

·         Unauthorized vehicles

The following are not allowed:

·         Disruptive behavior or unlawful acts

·         Solicitation, distribution, or selling of product outside of a contracted booth

Personal items brought onto the facilities may be subject to search.

From Olympia and the South

1.       Take I-5 North to Highway 512, Exit 127

2.       Follow Highway 512 east for 8 miles to the exit marked 9th St. SW / 94th Ave. E

3.       Turn left over the freeway and go down the hill for 1.4 miles

4.       Fair Parking Lots are on the right side of Fairview Dr SW

If traffic is congested…

1.       Continue on Highway 512 to the Meridian Street S. or Pioneer Avenue E. exits

2.       Follow the signs to Fair Parking Lots

From North or South Bound I-5 in Tacoma

1.       Take exit #135 to Puyallup

2.       Follow the signs to Puyallup

3.       At the first stop light you can turn right to Pioneer Way East; or continue to the left on River Road

4.       Pioneer Way route: Travel 5.2 miles to 72nd Street E

1.       Turn left to stay on Pioneer Way E

2.       Continue 1.9 miles to Puyallup's 5th Street SW

3.       Turn right to 5th Street SW and follow the signs to Fair Parking Lots

5.       River Road route: Travel 5.4 miles to Puyallup's 4th Street NW

1.       Turn right to 4th Street NW. It will change to 5th Street SW at the railroad tracks

2.       Continue 1 mile to Fair Parking Lots

From Seattle and the North

1.       Take I-5 South to the Puyallup Exit #142B in Federal Way. As exiting, stay in the left lane

2.       Turn right at the traffic light at the end of the exit ramp, then turn left at the first traffic light onto Highway 161

3.       Travel approximately eight miles into the Puyallup Valley. (Highway 161 becomes Meridian Street in Puyallup.) Continue south through town

4.       Turn Right at W. Main (just past the railroad tracks). Continue west 4 blocks

5.       Turn left at 5th Street SW

6.       Follow the signs to Fair Parking Lots

OR

1.       Take I-5 South to the I-405 North interchange, exit 154A, to Renton

2.       Take Exit 2 to Highway 167 toward Kent/Auburn. Travel South on Highway 167 for approximately 20.2 miles to Highway 512 West

3.       Travel 1.3 miles to the first exit, Pioneer Avenue. At the light at the end of the exit turn right. Continue east to 14th Street SE

4.       Turn right at 14th Street SE

5.       Turn Right at 7th Avenue SE to Fair Parking

6.       Follow the signs to Fair Parking Lots

If traffic is congested….

1.       Continue on Highway 512 to the Meridian Street S. or South Hill/Graham exits

From Bellevue and the Eastside

1.       Take I-90 to I-405 South. Take Exit 2 to Highway 167 toward Kent/Auburn

2.       Travel South on Highway 167 for approximately 20.2 miles to 512 West

3.       Travel 1.3 miles to the first exit, Pioneer Avenue. At the light at the end of the exit turn right. Continue East to 14th Street SE

4.       Turn right at 14th Street SE

5.       Turn Right at 7th Avenue SE to Fair Parking Lots

If traffic is congested…

1.       Continue on Highway 512 to the Meridian Street S. or South Hill/Graham exits

I'm looking forward to this....

Amy

jcheryld
on 4/15/09 12:19 pm
Have fun at the baby Fair this weekend! Last year I went with my BF and it snowed... AWFUL!
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

seattledeb
on 4/15/09 2:01 pm
Have fun at the fair. I'll be working or I'd be happy to join you. Look for a mini-me..my son will be there with his grandma!
Deb T
Donna Childress
on 4/18/09 3:19 am - Maple Valley, WA
Hi Amy,
Wow, I thought you would get alot more replies on such a wonderful and fun idea!  I'm still looking very much forward to Sunday and hopefully a few more people will show up at the last minute.  But if not, we will still have a wonderful, fun, day!  My hubby will be sitting home doing more Boeing stuff, so I'm free all day into the evening if you want - and if we both last that long.  Once hubby gets working on his laptop there's nothing stopping him so I'm free as a bird. 

Any how, just wanted to touch base with you and make sure you are still going.  If you can let me know that would be most appreciated......I'll check my emails later today or you can also touch base with me at my home phone:  (425) 432-0156.  So hoe to hear back from you - otherwise, I will see you at the Gold Gate as close to 10:00 as possible.  I'll be coming from Maple Valley, so given traffic, and I can't remember how long it takes to get there I could be a bit early - and hopefully not late.  I'm usually pretty much on time!  Knock on wood!!!!  It's sunny!  Might even have to bring a sunhat!  Yipee!!!!

Donna/ragadolly

Most Active