dietician/nutritionist

carlycro54
on 4/14/09 3:34 am - WA
Looking for a dietician or nutritionist  in the eastern washington area, chelan, Wenatchee  would be great. Looking for someone that understands the criterion set by most insurance companys to get  approved for gastric bypass. If any one know of anyone that was good for them let me know.

Thanks
Donna Childress
on 4/15/09 3:52 am - Maple Valley, WA
Hi Carly,

I wish I knew someone in Eastern Washington for you, but I don't.  However, I am going on my second insurance appeal and have hopefully learned and taken some great advice I've been given.

1.  Call your insurance company and have them send you a copy of your insurance plan for gastric bypass surgery so you have it in front of you and can see your specific requirements.  You must be your own advocate.

2.  All insurance companies vary on their plans.  Your work place/business (especially bigger companies) decide which insurance company to go with and the business picks and chooses which benefits they want on the insurance plan and which they don't.  Example:  I have Boeing Traditional through Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield.  My plan is very different from someone that has Blue Cross Blue Shield of California.  Then there are also just very basic plans too.  You have to know exactly what your plan stipulates.

3.  What does your plan specifically require for diet/nutrition?  My plan just changed (also be aware of insurance coverage changes while you are in the process).  Mine now states six months structured, medically supervised nonsurgical weight reduction program, under the supervision of an MD, or DO.  Be careful with that one.  If I went just to a licensed dietician/nutritionist it would not count!!   Mine had to be with the dietician/nutritionist working out of an MD's office and under an MD's direct supervision.  Make sure you get clarification on this with your insurance company and your companies insurance representative. 

4.  My insurance did allow me to have weigh ins with my family practitioner.  I have to have at least three visits within the six month period.  Doctor's chart notes must be structured and contain such information as height, weight, nutritional counseling, behavior modification, exercise, etc.  My insurance company is very sketchy on just how much charting they want - and you know doctor's, they write sloppy and shortly - so I'm nervous about that.
5.  My insurance now also states that a diet plan such as Weigh****chers is acceptable, under an MD's guidance - So what I have done is I followed Weigh****chers both on-line and also started weekly weigh in-s with WW and then also had monthly weigh-ins with my family doctor and had her chart notes about my progress.  I'm praying that is adequate.
6.  Insurance companies are out to make money!  They don't care about people.  Keep a note of all conversations you have with them.  Be your own advocate,  Get everything in writing!  The more information you can compile the better.  Call them often and ask questions both at insurance company and with your insurance representative at your place of business.  You, like I did, may find conflicting answers....
7.  Read lots of Obesity and Weight Loss Surgery Books, and join different Obesity/Weight loss Surgery groups on line - most are free and are full of information.  Obesity Action Coalition is a great one too - join free and they help people fight for insurance rights on obesity issues and are full of information.  Join at least one, if not more WLS support groups and attend the meetings (usually monthly) in person.  Doing all this shows you are compliant!  Insurance companies want that too - at least mine does and from what I've learned - many others do too.

I hope this helps a bit - if I can be of further help - let me know - we have to all pull together and beat these darn insurance companies.

Best of luck to you,

ragadolly

carlycro54
on 4/15/09 4:08 am - WA
Thanks for the advice I will get on that right away. My insurance has 2 options a 3 month and a 6month. The 6 months is very much like yours. The 3 month is very strict  I have to participate  in a Multidisciplinary surgical preparatory regimen for at least 3 months prior to surgery meeting all of the following criteria.
1) consultation with dietician or nutritionist
2) supervised reduced calorie diet program by dietician/nutritionist
3) exercise regimen (unless contraindicated) supervised by qualified professional
4) behavior modification program supervised by qualifed professional
5) medical record documentation of my particaption in the above to include initial assessment and progress assessment at completion

I phoned my PCP to day to see how she can help connect me to some that can help me meet the needs and requirements of my insurance.

I will let you know how things go for me.

carlycro54
on 4/16/09 2:25 am - WA
Iam hoping to have everything done by July I have all the labs and the testing done and I have been working on geting a nutritionist and the psych eval done as soon as possible. What was the name of the nutritionist you had.?

bzlatich
on 4/15/09 1:43 pm - Kennewick, WA
hi i had dr chebli for my surgery and he is awesome and i live in the tri-cities and i us the nutritionist at the MW hospital i usually make my appt the same day that i see Dr Chebli and if i have questions in between i email her and he responses quickly. hope that helps.

good luck keep in touch, i like talking with people that have the same Dr as me.

when are you looking at having surgery? i had mine on dec 16th RYN and have lost 71 pounds, if you have Dr chebli will be do great, he is great

barb
Barb
Teresa R.
on 4/20/09 2:22 am - Yakima, WA
Hi, I am from Yakima and I had my dietician meeting at Sunnyside Hospital. My sister is currently seeing the Dietician at the hospital in Ellensburg. Mary Jo is very thorough and is in constant contact with my sister's pcp and insurance company to make sure she is doing everything properly. I know it's a bit of a drive, but may be worth it!

Good luck!!

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 4/20/09 5:42 am - WA
You might try Greater Columbin Bariatic Surgeons -1075 Jadwin Ave Suite 203- Richland WA.
Most Active