I survived my first bike ride!!!

Helen_Anne
on 4/11/09 9:11 am - Bremerton, WA
I picked up my new bike today...  and rode to my step son's house about 3 miles round trip.  It was a little scary when I going to fast.... but the good news is that ... 1) I can shift the gears on my bike, 2) I can stop the bike... and 3)  I am not too proud to walk my bike when my legs can't peddle up hills.

So far I'm not sore... but my legs may ache in the morning....  I will have my husband take some pictures.....  since my bike helmet matches my bike... both are baby blue..

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

Beetle
on 4/12/09 12:59 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
Helen, that is great, good for you!
I wish I had a riding buddy near me, I'd be much more likely to actually go do it than on my own.

I can't wait to hear if you're still not sore today - I always end up with a butt that hurts for days, even though I have one of those bigger seats.

Do you have some sort of special seat? And do hurry up with those pics, we'd like to see them!

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

Helen_Anne
on 4/12/09 8:23 am - Bremerton, WA
When I woke up this morning... only my legs hurt... not my butt...  I bought a Novera Mia.... no special seat...its the kind that you can sit up when you ride.

Karin... I am in the Renton area often... when I get better on the bike... lets connect so that we can ride together....

Helen

332.5/302.6/231/200

Beetle
on 4/13/09 12:08 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
Helen, please don't get TOO good at it! I can only handle the flat bits, the hills kill me.

So I usually look for bike paths that are level, or at least mostly so.
Soos Creek trail is pretty challenging to me in some parts, along Maple Valley Highway is noisy but quite nice.
I really need to investigate more bike tracks.
I can throw my bike in the back of the van and meet you somewhere...... just say the word!

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

Lisa B.
on 4/12/09 1:57 am - Bremerton, WA
Good for you!!!! 
I haven't been on a bike in 10 years. I have been sort of a couch potato for the last couple of weeks, and I am feeling it. I had a hysterectomy on March 25th and am still recovering.

lisa
Helen_Anne
on 4/12/09 8:26 am - Bremerton, WA
Lisa...

I hope you are healing quickly after your hysterectomy... I have heard its harder heal from than the RNY.

Helen

332.5/302.6/231/200

Lisa B.
on 4/12/09 8:39 am - Bremerton, WA
The surgery was  done vaginally, so I have no "exterior" incisions. I was in the hospital over night and back at work after 2 weeks. The doc said no heavy lifting or strenuous exercise for 6 weeks. If I had know the surgery was so easy I would have done it a long time ago.

lisa
Kathy P.
on 4/12/09 7:15 am - Port Orchard, WA
Congrats! I told DH I'm getting a bike. I've been working out at the Y, and co-workers are wanting me to participate in the Tri Turtle Tri out at Wild Cat Lake in September.  Hoping I will be ready by then!

My brother, who used to marathon like crazy (seriously, bike from Seattle to San Diego? Heck, take a plane, more time to play at Disneyland I say!   )...anyway, he reminds me to be sure to stretch AFTER riding so the muscles stay lengthened.

This is totally great for you..I'm jealous!

Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
Helen_Anne
on 4/12/09 8:36 am - Bremerton, WA
Kathy...

What is the Tri Turtle Tri?  I think I have heard of Wild Cat Lake...

I know people who are just as crazy about biking... rest assured this won't happen to me!!

When I was at REI buying the bike ... they were having a Bike Fest... one of the bike events that looked interesting was one close to where I grew up in Bellevue and Issaquah. It is a woman only event... with a 20 , 40ish and 60 mile rides... I hope by the end of summer I can do the 20 mile ride.

Helen

332.5/302.6/231/200

Starting Over
on 4/14/09 3:35 pm
Helen- do you remember the name of the 20/40/60 mile bike ride? I would love to participate in that.
Most Active