St Francis - the hospital stay.

Mdae
on 4/10/09 3:11 am
my surgeon and his staff were great, but i was wondering about other's impressions of the rest of the hospital stay.

i only stayed at the hospital one night, but i gotta say - it was awful.  i had to pee at one point, but being hooked up to so many contraptions, i pressed the nurse's button.  well, my door was open, and i could hear that several other patients had pressed theirs as well.  i waited maybe 20min or so, and could hear people starting to call out  "Help me....  help me..."  so i decided to try and take care of things myself.  it was no small ordeal, unhooking everything (particularly my feet, when i could hardly bend over), but i managed (hooking it back up was harder).   and even though i just stopped using my nurse button for the remainder of the night, i could still hear other people calling for help (more than one) and stuff.  it was a little scary - what if something were really wrong?

on the upside - the daytime staff was pretty good.  i really liked my nurse that checked me out - she even brought me flowers.

what was your experience at St. Francis?
Beetle
on 4/10/09 3:43 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia

You might like to read this thread from last month.

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

Mdae
on 4/10/09 3:52 am
thanks, guess my experience was pretty standard then.  yikes.
kschroeder
on 4/10/09 12:36 pm, edited 4/10/09 12:36 pm
I stayed on the day surgery wing instead....only three patients that night so we had lots of attention.  My stay was pleasant and the nurses were very supportive.  Maybe a difference in the side of the hospital you stay on??  How are you feeling today?  I'm pretty tired after a couple of days of work.  Can't wait to sleep tomorrow.
riky
on 4/10/09 4:15 pm
I work at a hospital. Some patients get what we call "Sun downers"  where they get really confused at night and will act out and do things they wouldn't normally do in the waking hours. Sometimes they will yell out all night long even when someone comes to help them.  They are usually very confused and sometimes even take some swings at the hospital staff.  I would never believe it if I hadn't seen this happen many times!! It is the strangest thing to see them during the waking hours when the are the sweetest  little old man or lady you could ever meet. I know not every hospital is perfect but sometimes things aren't as they seem.  A lot of people with dementia repeat things over and over again and it seems like no one is helping them but this isn't always the case.

Hope this helps to try and see it from a different perspective....

Riky
Mdae
on 4/11/09 12:33 am
not quite ready for 40 hours a week, but feeling pretty good in general. =)  take it easy at work, k?
Nopenname
on 4/13/09 10:13 pm - Tacoma, WA
Well, I hope my stay is markedly different. I'm always afraid, being obese, of hospital staff disrespecting me or treating me poorly so I'm kind of defensive to begin with. My first labor and delivery I was treated like garbage and it's kind of stuck with me in my expectations of hospital staff in general.

Though it's helped me in becoming my own loudest *****iest advocate, that's for sure. XD

HW/ SW/ CW/ GW

453/380/160/165

I'm pretty sure bacon tastes as good as thin feels!
*Feel free to call me "Pen" or "Nic" I'll even answer to "hey you" *

Mdae
on 4/14/09 2:15 am
wow, you're down to one week!!!  how ya feelin' about things?  we missed ya at the tukwila meetup!  maybe next time?
Nopenname
on 4/14/09 11:19 am, edited 4/14/09 11:19 am - Tacoma, WA
Feeling like I'm starving! Iol.

But I'm down 20lbs since I saw Srikanth last and 43 since January. So if he gives me any guff I'll be all AND THIS IS WHY I'M HAVING SURGERY OMG. I called Ura everything is in and it all looks spectacular so surgery is still go. Final consult is Thursday.

Yeah sucks about the meetup. My husband took the car that morning to do bids and my mother in law bailed and left me with all three kids, who I would not be able to take with the work van.

HW/ SW/ CW/ GW

453/380/160/165

I'm pretty sure bacon tastes as good as thin feels!
*Feel free to call me "Pen" or "Nic" I'll even answer to "hey you" *

Mdae
on 4/14/09 2:36 pm
hah - the starving thing won't be over any time soon - sorry! =(  that's awesome loss tho!  wtg!  he'll be thrilled.
Most Active