Feeling sick

Forevrtaja
on 4/7/09 12:44 am

I had open RNY on 3/20/09 and until Sunday was doing GREAT!!!  Now all of the sudden everything smells funny, tastes awful and seems to be making me ill.  If you've had this can you please help me with your advise and how long you experienced this.  I'm feeling helpless right now.

Judy O.
on 4/7/09 8:23 am - Tacoma (Parkland), WA
Actually, I had this problem too. Once it started, my tastes, smells, likes/dislikes seemed to change daily; that went on for over a week. Then all of a sudden, everything went back to normal; I didn't do anything different; it just changed back. Someone suggested to me that this could have been the result of the anesthetic leaving the body . . . who knows. Hang in there; hopefully you will shortly return to your normal six senses also. Judy
Forevrtaja
on 4/8/09 6:53 am
Thank you so much for your response, I am relying on everyone's personal experiences to get me through.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/8/09 3:13 am
Good and bad news. Good news is, it's normal. Bad news is, it can last for weeks or months, but it does get better.

I was also told it was from the anesthesia, and for over 4 months, everything smelled, and tasted nasty, and something that actually did look or sound OK, could sound awful the next day or minute.

I promise you it gets better. Almost daily, you will notice something feeling better, whether its discomfort, nausea, or food aversion. Things will literally get better by the day.
Forevrtaja
on 4/8/09 6:56 am
Thanks for the encouragement!  This is all new to me and I thought 2 years of research I would have heard a bit on this.  I will just pray every day (min) gets better and easier.  I really rely on help from those who have traveled before me.

Thanks again!
Starting Over
on 4/8/09 2:39 pm
Oh, I feel so sorry for you. I know what you're going through! I had food aversion BAD. REALLY BAD! I actually bought air fresheners for every rooms of the house and had to leave when my hubby cooked. I couldn't handle the smell. It was also tough to handle at work...during lunch time I was nauseous almost every day. It wasn't just food that smelled funny to me. My cats, my car, even people smelled nasty to me!lol, it was crazy. Try using something like Vicks vapo-rub to help mask the smells. Just a little on the tip of your nose should help (unless the smell of that makes you sick). As far as food tasting gross, I lived solely on protein shakes during that period.
Hope you get over this quickly!
Forevrtaja
on 4/9/09 5:10 am
Thank you Thank you Thank you. 

OMG!!! You hit it on the head! everything you said about people, animals etc.  A Co-worker just heated up leftover Thai food.  Before WLS I would have been fine, now....blaaaakkkk.  I tried the Vicks it worked!!!

As for eating, protein shakes and Unjury Chicken Broth is all I can stomach right now.  Hope this is over soon.
Starting Over
on 4/9/09 1:28 pm
Yay! I'm glad that it worked.
I liked the Unjury chicken broth too during that time, I just couldn't smell it. It stayed down and didn't make me nauseous, but as soon as I smelled it all bets were off!hehehe
Beetle
on 4/9/09 6:45 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
I didn't have any of those problems, but I still have something worth trying.

I grew up being given chamomile tea for any sort of a stomach upset. It is incredibly effective so much of the time. It has a very calming effect on stomachs,  (or sometimes it makes you throw up whatever is in there that bothers you - end result is still that you feel better).

I don't know if my miracle "drug" would apply to YOUR case, but worst case scenario is that you just had a cup of healthy tea (i.e. much needed fluid), even if the effect isn't as awesome as it usual is. I'd give it a try or two.

Good luck!

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

Most Active