Day 5 after surgery

kschroeder
on 4/5/09 9:51 am
I'm still in the "what the hell did I do" phase.  I'm frustrated with myself.  My brain knows the logical answers, my heart is aching.  Yuck.  I hate this feeling.

Amy R.
on 4/5/09 10:47 am

Try to hang in there - it gets better.  Someone told me that they call the first  week "hell week" and I can see why....but it really does get  better.  Try to remember all of the reasons you did this and how much better you are going to feel because of it.  Write a list of all of the good changes that will happen in your life as a result so you can read it when you are feeling down.

Are you able to get in all of your liquids and supplements yet?  That can really make a difference on how you feel.

Remember, the hardest part is over - it will only get better from here....

best,
amy

kschroeder
on 4/6/09 3:32 am
I'm getting about 80 ounces of liquid down a day and my supplements.  Much easier with water than broth!  I'm not in a huge amount of pain, so I was debating about going back to work tomorrow.  I'm just anxious about being gone, but maybe this is part of the process of putting myself first.
Helen_Anne
on 4/6/09 3:55 am - Bremerton, WA

I was in total shock when I had the same feelings you are having.... I was SO excited about having WLS surgery ... then the "what in the hell did I do" feelings came ... those feeling pass pretty quickly.

Remember to post here often... most of us will have gone through what you are feeling at some point.

The first few weeks are the hardest... then... suddenly you are eating foods that are not liquid or pureed... and  life after WLS just gets better every day.

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

kschroeder
on 4/6/09 6:11 am
That is totally it!  SHOCK is a perfect word.  I was ecstatic to be having surgery.  I just don't know where all of this is coming from.  Tomorrow I get to add protein shakes so it will be better.  I tried walking the dog this afternoon and was able to do four blocks before I started hurting....so...I called in to wor****il Wednesday.  I think I was being way too optimistic.  Thanks for the advice.  It really does help to know that it is a phase.
Mdae
on 4/6/09 9:06 am
i musta missed you at the hospital, but i'm glad things went well for you.  and holy cow i can't believe you can already get in 80oz.  i'm trying, but lets just say that's still a 'goal' for me.  i still feel pretty crummy too, and my son refused to take a nap today, so i'm exhausted. 

i don't regret having the surgery - in fact i'm not sure it's actually sunk in that it's over.  i feel sorta like i have a horrible flu bug or something, where you hurt all over.  i wish that everything didn't smell gawd-awful tho.  and that drinking were easier.

hang in there - i think we've been thru the worst of it - it should only get better, right?
kschroeder
on 4/6/09 9:36 am
Did your surgery go okay?  I wasn't able to get in until 3:00pm (I was scheduled for noon) so I was worried that you had complications.  I figured you must have been admitted when I missed you on the day surgery wing. I met a couple of nice patients from Dr. Oh walking the nurses station.   I don't regret my surgery.  I know it was the right thing....I think I'm just scared that I'll fail at this too.  I start protein tomorrow so I'm looking forward to that.  My smeller turned on yesterday, which made me want a hamburger and salmon and all the things I can't have even though I wasn't hungry.  I think my battle will be in my mind as I lose the weight.

Do you have someone at home to help you with your son?  I have been really fortunate to have some support.  I know we haven't met, but I'm not far and can drop things off, run errands if you need something. 

It should get better....but I did give myself until after Wednesday to go back to work.  I just couldn't bring myself to go back tomorrow.  My thoughts are with you in your recovery.  Hang in there!
Mdae
on 4/6/09 10:12 am
i didn't have complications, i wonder if Dr. S just took his time chatting with everyone that came to see me, lol (2 of his past patients, and another future dser, plus family).  i vaguely remember him trying to make me keep my eyes open and pay attention to what he was trying to tell me (tho, i couldn't tell you now what that was).  it must have been hard waiting so long though, sorry for that.

i usually have help with my son, just not for today - but it'll be okay.  i trained him before surgery to climb up and down from the changing table, and i converted his crib to a toddler bed.  so i don't have to pick him up at all (tho sometimes i wanna - imagine that).

i appreciate the offer for help, but i should be okay - and you're prolly in the same shape as me anyway!

food sounds good, but i think i'm too afraid to cheat.  even water hurts still.
kschroeder
on 4/6/09 1:57 pm
Sounds like him!  I am glad to hear that you didn't have a problem though!  I have my follow up appt. with my gen doc tomorrow...although I'm not sure what she is supposed to say other than I'm healing.  I walked about 8 blocks today...no pain, just pulling on one incision site.  Hope you have a good day tomorrow!
Most Active