Need Help from Dr. OH Patients.....Calcium Citrate

Shelli S.
on 4/4/09 4:01 am
I am 11 days out from RNY Lap and as of last Tuesday I was approved to start back on Vitamins and Protein. The only problem I'm having is getting the powder from the calcium citrate capsule & the Nexium (granules) down. I've tried to put the Calcium Citrate into everything from Jello, my protein shake, water, and can't get it to mix into anything, it wont melt, it just floats on top of everything. I can't stomach it. It makes me vomit. PLEASE HELP. I haven't had a full dose of Calcium in almost 2 weeks.

Laurie Landy
on 4/4/09 6:43 am - Puyallup, WA
Hey I am glad you posted something.  You have been on my mind because I knew you were having surgery in March and I hadn't seen you on here.  How did everything go?  How are you feeling?  Sorry I am no help with the calcium thing I just wanted to check in with you.  My surgery is about 2 1/2 weeks away!!! Getting scared  Hope to hear from you soon....

Laurie
Beetle
on 4/4/09 11:41 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
I bought chewables from Vitalady in Puyallup.

This particular brand - Bariatric Advantage - is one of the few options I find quite ok to munch on. If you go to her house, you can try a few different flavors.

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

Cheryl N.
on 4/4/09 2:28 pm - Des Moines, WA

I had the same problem, it won't dissolve in water well, I think it also depends on the brand of it too.  The ones i bought the first time dissolved good, I cna't remember the brand but it was in blue and white bottle.  The second bottle I bought was a different brand bec it was cheaper lol ... and it didn't solve as well.

How about trying those ones that are petites, small pills?  I take them with no problems. 

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/4/09 6:17 pm
It really is tough those first weeks, when everything looks/smells/tastes nasty, and I certainly see how gritty calcium dust on top of things would seem gross.
My surgeon prescribed some liquid calcium the first month, to make it easier. You may want to ask about some if you can't get the crushed stuff down.
Shelli S.
on 4/5/09 1:16 am
Your so on the money, right now I could care less if I even take my protein shake it doesn''t taste the same as it did before surgery. Taking all these vitamins and protein is going to be the hardest thing to do daily. But with time I will get my routein down and it will become easier. I am going to go out today and find myself some chewable calcium. Then I will not have any obsticles when taking all the pills. Thank you for the advise all... I can always count on support from OH.
Starting Over
on 4/8/09 2:29 pm
I found a liquid Calcium Citrate that I used when I was newly post-op. I don't recall the brand name, but I bought it at Super Supplements. They have about 3 or 4 different flavors. Also, Bariatric Advantage has finally come out with the Calcium Citrate Chewables. They only have chocolate right now. You might want to try these as it's like eating a chocolate candy, but it's Calcium Citrate. They're not as good as the Citrical Chewy Bites used to be...but they still do the trick for me!
http://www.bariatricadvantage.com/catalog/itemHandler?id=149 4
vitalady
on 4/10/09 1:25 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
The BA crystals are very fine dust and mix into protein or crystal light pretty easily.

If you are close to me, we often have samples you can play with. The SAY to mix with 8 oz of liquid, but personally, no. If I was to put the lemon lime or raspberry into something, it'd be way less, like 2-3 oz.

I use one scoop in my protein, tho. And it doesn't mess with the flavor. THAT would be a very bad mistake. Do NOT mess with my protein.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Most Active