Totally off WLS topic but need some advise!{kinda long}

Nicki H.
on 4/1/09 1:07 am - WA
Lap Band on 08/12/08 with

I need some advise from a mental health person, psychologist or someone who has something I can use.  I have a very good friend of mine who is having some sort of mental break.  It has been going on for over a month. She has been in and out of Harborview Psych.  They Rx her pych meds, she flushes them.  Harborview knows this.  They will not detain her, they say she isn't sick enough.  She is on DSHS.  She is threatening the "Swat team"  on Starbucks b/c they won't take her CD's back so she can buy cigarettes and other VERY erratic behavior.  She called me on my cell last night at 1030pm and 230am and has called and left many messages at odd hours of the morning.  This morning her messages we horrible!  Telling me to F Off and I am no longer her friend b/c she is just Fing fine and everyone can F this and F that.  She is CRAZY!  But Harborview she says has no official diagnosis for her.  She is a mental health counselor herself and so she not only thinks she can self diagnose herself but she tells the docs everything they want to hear.  Her Dtr and I have warned them she was going to be doing this....HELP!!!!  Does anyone have any advise????  I am officially at the end of my rope with her.  I never thought I would reach this point, but now I find myself here.  Before I would do anything for her to help.  Now I will be avoiding phone calls at all costs and not calling her anylonger.

Do any of you have any advise of what I can do to get her committed?

Thank you all!

I delivered 6 weeks early a 5lb 15oz lil boy:)  After spending 2 months on bed rest in the hospital and Mason spending 11 days in the NICU, we're both home and doing great!  Mason is getting bigger and gaining weight like he should.  Now it's my turn to lose this weight!  It's tough to get back on the band wagon...I CAN do this!

PinkFlamingoes
on 4/1/09 12:43 pm, edited 4/1/09 12:43 pm - Buckley, WA
I have a good friend who is mentally ill . It got to the point where I had to step away from her , as it was affecting my health . Eventually we became reconnected . It may be that you need to step back . You can't help her if she is refusing help . I wish you & her the best of luck .

LisaAnn
on 4/1/09 1:01 pm - WA
WOW, I have no phychological advice for you, except that you cannot help her. She needs to hit HER rock bottom, or needs someone to commit her so she can be forced to hit that bottom.

The only thing you can do is repeat to her that you will be there for her as long as she gets help. But if she continues to be irrational and think she is fine, you need to distance yourself for your own well being.

I would keep repeating the same thing to her if and when she calls, and then end the conversation.

(Well, that is what I would TRY to do...it is always easier to give advice than it is to follow it!)

I just wish you good luck with whatever  you chose to do!! I really feel very sad for both her and YOU!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

Nicki H.
on 4/1/09 1:15 pm - WA
Lap Band on 08/12/08 with
Thank you both for your advise.  It is a very tough delicate situationI talked to her dtr tonight whom I have gotten to know very well through this and whom is my age.  We are both at the same point with her.  We are both going to step back.  Everytime we call the crisis line and they go see her they think she is just fine  I guess she really has to hurt someone before they will committ her!!!  I even volunteered the first time I took her to Harborview as her POC and next of kin(per her words)to committ her.  Didn't work....This system in Wa state is seriously broken!

But in the end a seriously ill woman is left out there to "work the system" to her advantage, or dis....she knows I am here for her when she is well....hopefully that day comes.
Thanks again ladies.

I delivered 6 weeks early a 5lb 15oz lil boy:)  After spending 2 months on bed rest in the hospital and Mason spending 11 days in the NICU, we're both home and doing great!  Mason is getting bigger and gaining weight like he should.  Now it's my turn to lose this weight!  It's tough to get back on the band wagon...I CAN do this!

Kathy P.
on 4/1/09 3:21 pm - Port Orchard, WA

Hey Nicole,

So I am that mental health person I guess! (Licensed Mental Heatlh).

First of all, what area of WA are you in? More specifically what County.  Each County or Region has it's own mental health protocol. I'm in Kitsap, but very familiar with surrounding counties. I don't want to assume you are in Seattle because of Harborview, as surrounding areas utilize Harborview as well. 

Additionally, who is telling you she has not diagnosis? Without releases, no provider will tell you squat. If she is telling you that, then obviously she's not being truthful. After all, there must be a diagnosis for DSHS, and for her meds.  No diagnosis, no need for meds.  Do you know what the meds were? That will give me some clues as well.

Flushing of the meds is a big deal.  Broadly speaking, the ITA (Involuntary Treatment Act) in Washington, states that a person must be deemed a danger to self or others, or gravely disabled to be ITA'd.  Then, it is an initial 72 hour hold with a hearing (typically at the institution where the person is detained). 

PM me, and let me know your county, etc, and I may be able to give you more direction.

Lastly, and MOST IMPORTANT, you need to take care of yourself. Trust me....it is exhausting caring for an ill person, and when you reach times when you try harder than they try, then it is time for some self care.

Take Care Nicole, and message me if you like....I check the OH board here every day!

Hugs,
Kathy

Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
AmyDean
on 4/13/09 5:22 pm - Lakewood, DC
Have you and the dtr considered tape recording or videotaping her having a discussion or rant? I don't know the legalities of WA but if she initiates the call and you don't lead her into threats, etc it should be enough info for a Crisis Intervention to take you seriously if you continue to help her in her battle.

You should consider distancing yourself so you don't jeopardize your health by lack of sleep, additional anxiety, etc. Good Luck!
Most Active