Beginning to prepare for my revision trip to NJ

Kathy H.
on 3/29/09 12:11 pm - Kent, WA
I admit it, I'm SPOILED. I worked for an major airline for 22+ years, and I'm used to traveling first class or business class. And at the end of April, I'm going to be squeezing my big, wide ass into a coach seat to fly across the country to NJ. All this so I can have myself sliced open like a carp for a VBG to DS revision.

Yikes-o-rama.

Of all the things I could be dreading (the IV, the stitches, the getting up to walk when I'd rather sleep, the pain, the spirometer) ... it's the plane ride I'm dreading the most. It's been about three years since I've flown, and a LOT longer than that since I've flown coach.

I have no idea whether or not the seat belt is going to work for me. Yeah, I know I can discreetly ask the flight attendant for an extender, but I don't really want to.

So, I'm asking: do any of you have a seatbelt extender you can lend me? Pretty please?

~a fluttering of lashes over puppydog eyes~
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

Mdae
on 3/29/09 12:42 pm
i don't have one, but i don't think you'll need it - you're not that big, really.  tho, i can understand wanting one anyway, just in case - even if you wind up not using it.  the worst part about coach is the people being SO close.  it's worse than a movie theater.  i'm SO anti-people. lol.
luckyladybug .
on 3/29/09 12:47 pm - Puyallup, WA
One word.....Upgrade~~~  I too worked for a major airline and I would schedule my off time flying around the availabilty of first..so I know what you are saying. 

Good luck.
jcheryld
on 3/30/09 12:58 pm
I have to agree with the above that the worst part about coach seating is how close you are squeezed in with others. I haven't flown since surgery, and I am taking a trip next month and I can't wait to experience all the room in my seat! LOL the small things that make me happy...

Anyhow, I don't have a seatbelt extender- I've never needed one. At my biggest with 55 inch hips and a 40 inch waist, I was still able to buckle the seatbelt w/ all the slack used. I bet you'll be fine!
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

Beetle
on 3/30/09 11:35 pm - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
Kathy, I was bigger around the middle than you are, so I don't think you need one.
I did need it, but on some planes I could have almost got it closed without it.

Last trip was to New Mexico in January and it was a lot easier for me by then, but I've decided that those tiny little seats will never, ever be comfortable. Once you get past about 6 years old, you're squashed in and that's that.

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

PinkFlamingoes
on 4/1/09 12:50 pm - Buckley, WA
OT - Just curious . Why are you going to NJ ? There is an excellent DS surgeon in San Francisco . Do you have family in NJ ? Like I said just curious . Best of luck . I'll be thinking positive thoughts .

Kathy H.
on 4/1/09 2:20 pm - Kent, WA
Hi, Kathy.

There are a couple of good DS surgeons in California, and one in Federal Way (Dr Shrikanth). If I were a virgin tummy, Dr Shrikanth would be my guy, and I'd likely have already been switched. Unfortunately, I had a Vertical Banded Gastroplasty (old "stomach stapling") 22 years ago, and I wanted a surgeon that was well-versed in revisions from VBG to DS.

Dr Shikanth was willing to revise me to an RNY, but for various reasons, I wasn't interested in that surgery (I have arthritis and need to take my NSAIDs, etc.).

So, I chose a surgeon that has tons of DS experience and tons of revision experience.

Rabkin would have been a good choice, too, but he's not in-network with Aetna, and it would have ended up costing about $15,000 out of pocket after all was said and done. Dr Greenbaum is *in* network, has tons of experience and as an added bonus.... fellowed with the Rabkins as he was learning the DS.

No... no family in NJ - I wish I DID. Do *you* have family in NJ?? ... ~teasing grin~

The trip is giong to cost me, for sure. But I believe in my heart that because of my previous surgery and shot-to-hell metabolism, the DS will give me the best chance a success.

Thanks for the positive thoughts. I'm headed into a risky surgery, and I have my fingers crossed I'll come out on the other side "switched."

Kathy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

PinkFlamingoes
on 4/1/09 2:47 pm - Buckley, WA
Kathy , The one thing that scared me about the RNY was giving up my Nsaids . I was rightfully worried , because I'm suffering , now . I have terrible arthritis in my knees & hands . I was self pay . When I had my RNY , I didn't know much about the DS . Dr's OH & Srikanth didn't list DS on their repertoire of surgeries that i'm aware of . That was spring of 2006 . I love my RNY , but would have had the DS to be able to take my Nsaids . I got a shot of Toradol last week . I felt great for 2 days . I'll keep my fingers & toes crossed for you . Kathy

Most Active