Goals

scott54
on 3/29/09 2:43 am - McKenna, WA
RNY on 09/24/08 with

I am at 187 - BMI of 26.8. 

Highest weight - 318 with a BMI of 45.6,

Weight at surgery - 295 with a BMI of 42.2.

My first goal weight was 192 - 80 percent of excess weight (highest weight).

My second goal weight was 187 - 80 percent of my excess weight (day of surgery) that I met today.

I have met my original goals.  I don't have a specific weight goal right now but expect to lose 10 or 15 pounds in 6 months. 

I saw Dr Beekley a couple of weeks ago.  He told me to come back in 6 months, at my year surgeriversary, and he would talk to me about a tummy tuck.  I might have a tummy tuck at that point but I am not sure about that.  At first I was completely indifferent to the idea but I am starting to think that, psychologically, I won't feel like the process is done if I have the excess skin.  In any case, if I had the tummy tuck, I think people loss another 10 or so pounds.  That would put me at a "normal" weight for the first time in many years.

Now if I can get the low blood platelet thing figured out . . .  It always seems like there is something else, sigh.

Scott

Kathy H.
on 3/29/09 4:19 am - Kent, WA
Hey, Scott!!

First of all, congratulations on meeting *both* of your goals! Great job!

I can't speak to how I'll feel about a tummy tuck. I'm still pre-op. But I can look at my body and tell where I'm going to have excess skin - my "apron," my thighs and my underarms. I think ahead to how I'll feel about that, and I'm uncertain whether it'll be a significant issue for me, emotionally.

I was so young at my first surgery, my skin still had enough elasticity that it wasn't much of an issue. this time... 22 years later ... I'm sure it will be.

All I can suggest is that you go to the consult and hear what he has to say. Keep enough skepticism in your heart to see through what might be a "sales pitch" and listen to what you're telling yoruself about how you feel. If you think the process won't be complete until you shrink your old skinsuit, then do it. If you're loving life and happy as you are, then don't.

I envy you being in the position (read: at goal) for this question be on the table!!! GREAT JOB!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

scott54
on 3/30/09 4:45 am - McKenna, WA
RNY on 09/24/08 with

First - good luck on your upcoming surgery.  It'll be interesting hearing how things go.

Thanks for the advice.  I have a few months to think about it.  Fortunately for me, I have great medical care so really the only question is if I want to have it done.

Thanks again,

Scott

Shelley S.
on 3/29/09 6:58 am - Ft Lewis, WA
Congrats to you for reaching those goals!!!!!  As for the tummy tuck, as always that's a personal choice, but think of what a great position we (as Madigan patients) are in to have that as an option.  You have time to give it some thought though.

I have no advice on the platelet thing, but hope you get it figured out.

Again congrats, you are doing an amazing job!!!!

scott54
on 3/30/09 4:49 am - McKenna, WA
RNY on 09/24/08 with

Thanks.  Madigan has been great.  With few exceptions, I have received exceptional care there and I have a terrific PCP.

I received a phone call and have an appointment at a hospital in Lacey on Monday with the hematology/onchology clinic for the platelet thing.

Scott

Most Active