Military Spouse AND New to this board...with a few question

slimmingdown1lastti
me

on 3/29/09 4:06 am
Hello all,
I have just decided to get the lap band surgery. I have my first visit to madigan on the 2nd of April. I thought it was going to be simple. Go in and then the Dr. gives me a date. However reading different post it seems like a long process. I am Farly new to Ft. Lewis and I do not know anybody. I was wondering if children are allowed @ the different visits like weight management and nutrition classes? Thanks
JMommy05
on 3/29/09 6:14 am
Im at Ft Lewis too. My first apt is the 2nd too. I think i worte the 9th on another post but its the 2nd at like 130. I guess its a big class. I dont think kids can come to it. How old are your kids? I have a 3 1/2 year old and do FCC(family child care) out of my house here on North Fort! 
If you wanna talk or anything you can email me [email protected]!
Best of luck! 
slimmingdown1lastti
me

on 4/1/09 3:52 pm

I am attending one at 1130. Have to be there 30 mins early. Maybe I will see you there

Shelley S.
on 3/29/09 6:52 am - Ft Lewis, WA
Hi there! Nice to meet you.  I too am a military spouse and had surgery at Madigan a little over a year ago.  It's far from a fast process, but in the long run, you will be grateful you were as informed as you will be by your surgery date.  The pathway you go through at Madigan does take a bit and unless things have changed, they don't allow children into the classes.

This is what my pathway journey was like going through Madigan if you would like to check it out.  There are a few of us here that had surgery at Madigan and would be more than happy to help any questions you may have.     Shelley's Madigan Pathway Journey

slimmingdown1lastti
me

on 4/1/09 3:56 pm
WOW!! You are doing a great job. i was going to just going to give up after seeing the process was going to be forever. But I decided that a long process is better than remainig obese for the rest of my life.Plus I do need to learn what and how to eat.
LisaAnn
on 3/29/09 10:24 am - WA

Hi, I just went to the March class, and yes, from what I have found out, it is about 9 mo. to a year process. 

I am told it is about 6 months from the first class until you even can begin Pathways. You get a number about a month after you attent the class, and it is all based on when your number comes up.

GOOD LUCK!!! and WELCOME!!!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

jillianD
on 3/29/09 10:26 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Hi there, and I am glad you made it to this site!!  The program at Madigan has changed quit a bit since I went through due to the large volume of patients they are now seeing.  I think you will be waiting at least 6 months, but try not to get discouraged, this is time for you to learn about the lap band, and the other WLS surgeries available at Madigan.
Your support person/ spouse is welcome at the meetings/classes but children are not.  I hope someone who is currently going through the program comes along to give you some advise.

Good Luck!!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

nikkigreen
on 3/30/09 4:58 am
hi good luck i did my pathway through bremerton we are navy and it took about 6 mo from start to surgery date. but i can tell you this no kids to see the surgeon!!!! i had a sitter for my 5 and 3 ye old but i took my 6 month old and my husband and they made them wait in the waiting room. good luck and do your research!!!!!!

nikki
mauringa
on 3/30/09 2:20 pm - Lacey , WA
I am currently in the pathway classes at Madigan, and there are no children allowed in the classes,  you might try hourly care at one of the CDC's (at least they had hourly care available the last time we where here---but I have only been back about 6 months and no longer have a need for child care so I am not sure if they still offer it or not)   Be patient it is going to be a long process---but there are support groups that you can go to at the hospital that I have found very helpful, and the more you go to them the better prepared you are for what is about to come!
Deborah T.
on 4/2/09 12:22 am - GA

My Husband is Military, and I had my First Dr. Appoinment last June,2008, and I had my Surgery Sept.4th, 2008.  I also had Lap-Band.

Hope this helps.

Deborah

GETTING HEALTHY ONE POUND AT A TIME

Deborah Turrell
Obesity Help Support Group Leader/Obesity Help Life Coach

Most Active