10 percent body weight loss...looking impossible

Nopenname
on 3/28/09 1:11 am - Tacoma, WA
Hello,

I recently made a similar post over on the DS board and very lovely people (including Dr. Husted) reassured me...but it didn't last long.

Basically I have lost 36lbs in the last 9 weeks. Right after the seminar I got gung ho about losing the weight necessary for surgery. But only 6 of that is "counted" by Dr. Srikanth as that has happened after my consultation. Not to mention the scales are out to get me, on Tuesday I went to cardiology and they weighed me at 407, downstairs in srikanth's office some 10 minutes later I weighed at 409 and two days later I weighed at WIC as 404. My scale at home says I'm anywhere between 399 and 402. GAH.

I'm supposed to lose 10 percent of my body weight by April 21st basically. And I've cut out all solid foods and am down to "eating' broth, protein shakes and water. I take three 20 minute walks daily and the numbers just won't move.

To be quite honest I'm even more worried that I'll disappoint Srikanth and make him think I don't care. When I really do and have been TRYING SO HARD. At my consultation he did aknowledge that I'd lost a good amount of weight but still said he wanted to see me down around 365. In a month  it doesn't look possible at all. I know from what Dr. Husted posted on my last thread about this topic on the DS board that ultimately it's a low-carb low-fat diet to shrink the liver that is MOST important but I can't help but be stuck up on the number.

Even worse I'm afraid Srikanth will tell me if I can't manage to comply before surgery and lose weight that he doesn't think I'll comply after and just refuse to do surgery on me.

I'm just so frustrated with myself and a little paranoid.
Beetle
on 3/28/09 1:20 am, edited 3/28/09 1:20 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia

Keep doing your very best, that's all you CAN do!
I didn't manage the whole 10% deal either, but he still went ahead and all was good.

I think he has seen so many patients, he can tell if you're trying. He's also very busy, so I'm sure he wouldn't postpone you unless he saw no other choice.

Try and try some more, cross fingers and stay positive, I bet you'll be fine.

Oh and about their equipment: I always weigh 5 lbs more at their office and my blood pressure is always way higher than anywhere else.

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

Dapme
on 3/28/09 4:11 am - kingwood, TX
I did not lose my 10% either.

I lost about 6%,  I had my surgery on tuesday and he said it was

picture perfect. Keep trying..but please don't get discouraged. It will happen!

Denise. 
maxs_mom
on 3/28/09 5:04 am, edited 3/28/09 5:32 am - Auburn, WA
~Namaste~

First, before I respond to your post, please take a moment to sit back, close your eyes, and take several deep cleansing breaths.  You are doing well.  36 pounds in 9 weeks is fantastic!  You are doing a good job!  You will succeed!

I did not meet, according to Dr. Srikanth, the 10% goal because he did not count the 18 pounds I lost from 10/01/08 to my 1st consult on 10/18/2008.  My high weight was 404 pounds, I weighed 386 at my initial consult, and 364 on the day of surgery 11/19/2008 (speed is the only plus to being self-pay).   I followed Dr. Srikanth's pre-op diet (which, for me,  included his famous "sandwich" regime) with near 100% compliance and lost 22 pounds in the 5 weeks between consult and surgery.    

As far as your weight loss vs. what Dr. Srikanth "counts" , well, I say phooey on him.  If I could document via weight at another physician's office, my heaviest weight within a month of consultation, then I say he should "count" it.  Regardless, I count it because I lost it.   

Dr. Srikanth knows that you are "trying" - he has been around long enough to know when a patient is BS'ing him.  Your significant weight loss thus far is evidence that you are walking the walk!  I do not believe that it's his intention to scare you or that he would cancel surgery if you don't meet that arbitrary 10% number (as an aside, I've always been curious about whether the 10% loss is based uppon actual weight or excess weight, because the difference between those is significant).  The goal of the pre-op weight loss is to 1) mentally and physically start you on the path to success for life, and 2) to burn fat which makes it easier to him to maneuver in a laparoscopic procedure.  The worst case scenario would be that the operation would have to be done as an open procedure. 

Your frustration is understandable and your fear is normal.  You are doing what you need to increase your odds for a successful, complication free surgery. 

Congratulate yourself!  I applaud your decision as well as the hard work you're doing in order to lead a happier, healthier, and longer life!

Amy

ps:  I would strongly encourage you to attend Dr. Srikanth's support group meeting on Tuesday 04/14/2009 from 6:00 - 7:30 PM in the conference room across from his office.  If you can't make that, find a support group, any support group, that you can attend in-person pre-op. 

pps:
I also want to let you know about another WLS support group that you could attend pre-op - it's a fantastic group called "Seattle Area Duodenal Switch" and it is ran through meetup.com.  Here's the link:  
http://wls.meetup.com/90/ .  This a support group in a completely social setting.  The next meeting is on Sat 4/11.  If you can't make it, I encourage you to join the group on meet-up anyway because this is one amazing  group of people who I found to be gracious, welcoming, and supportive - even to a person who chose a different procedure.  There are several people in this WA Forum (Hi Denise and Kathy!) who attend that group.

xkendrax
on 3/28/09 12:47 pm - Yelm, WA
I was worried about the 10% loss too.   I didn't make the 10% loss before surgery.  I only lost abou 8% and he still went ahead.  Just keep doing your best and I think he will understand.  Good luck!

MySpace: myspace.com/xkendra
Highest: 261 / Surgery (03/11/09): 242.3/ Current: 122.8/ Goal: 105

Mdae
on 3/28/09 1:37 pm, edited 3/28/09 1:37 pm
i was/am totally freaked about this too.  i went on liquids for a couple weeks before my final consult, and lost 22lbs and he still told me "keep working on the weightloss" up until surgery.  so now i'm down 28lbs and my surgery is on tuesday.  if he's not satisfied, i'm gonna cry.

i gotta say, liquids indefinitely is tough.  and ANYONE that says WLS is the 'easy way out' doesn't have a friggen clue.  there's a ginomous cheesecake in the fridge calling my name too (my family is just mean like that).  and let me just say...  if i never have s/f jello again, that'd be just fine.

silver lining tho - i'm down a few sizes - tho, admittedly these jeans are cut weird.
Kathy H.
on 3/29/09 4:04 am, edited 3/29/09 4:05 am - Kent, WA
I'm so glad you decided to put this here, too. The DS board is full of wonderful folks, but not many of them are Shrikanth patients. I think his 10% rule is something he imposes to see if you're going to be committed to the after-surgery care a WLS requires.

I'm with the rest of the gang, here. You've done a fantastic job, and I've not yet heard of one Shrikanth patient that's had their surgery can celled due to not meeting his 10% rule.

And yes.... Amy is right about the DS support group meeting. PLEASE come to April's meeting. It's a very unique meeting, from what I've seen. No pre-set agenda - just 10 or 20 people who've had the DS sharing information. There is a WEALTH of information flying about the room ... it's difficult, sometimes, to choose which Little 'mini-meeting" conversation you want to slip into. The leader of the group is wonderful at making sure everyone is included, and the group is warm and welcoming and respectful.

Amy is right - both Denise and I attend, and so does Mdae (who posted just above me) ... though we don't see her as often as I'd like! The meeting starts at 3, and it's not unusual for us to continue talking (though, certainly, the group dwindles****il the place closes at 10.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

Most Active