Surgery in 8 days

kschroeder
on 3/23/09 11:31 am
I'm on my 10 day liquid diet.  I'm dying to chew something.  Popcicles make me sick.  Any ideas?  I feel like I'm starving, even though I know that I'm not hungry just craving things.  Help!!  I don't want to cheat but am VERY tempted.
Beetle
on 3/23/09 11:42 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
I feel your pain - I've been there, done that, got the T shirt!

When I was in your spot, this website was my life saver.
Every time I contemplated calling for a pizza, I came here and looked at the before & after photos, instead. They reminded me WHY I was doing this to myself, and helped me to make it through that very difficult time. I managed to get through it without a single cheat.

Go for a walk, knit a sweater, play the guitar - just keep busy, and keep your goal in mind.

A few months from now all this will be nearly forgotten, and totally worth every painful, hungry minute!

Hang in there!!!! Good luck.

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

kschroeder
on 3/23/09 11:45 am
Thank you SO much for your encouraging words.  I keep remembering Ura telling me that she always knows when someone has cheated....  I did better today at work than when I'm at home.  At home, I think about making dinner, etc.  It is nice to see that you are doing so well.  Gives me hope.

Mdae
on 3/23/09 12:54 pm
so, is your date the 31st?  mine is, that's why i asked.  what surgery are you getting? 

don't cheat - you can do anything for 10 days.  chew ice?  i know it's not good for your teeth, but it crunches nicely.  it might help too if you allow yourself an extra protein shake.
kschroeder
on 3/23/09 2:03 pm
Yes, the 31st!  We'll recover together.  I'm getting the sleeve done.  How are you doing?
Mdae
on 3/23/09 3:09 pm
i'm doing okay.   liquids aren't too bad (so long as you think of it short-term), that's pretty much how i lost my 10%.  tho i prefer ramen packets (with the specks strained) to regular canned broth, ugh.  and i've stockpiled the s/f jello - figure 40 days is a LONG time.  haven't tried popsicles yet, but i suppose i should pick some up.  on the bright side tho, getting in TONS of water is pretty easy when you're starving!

maybe we'll be roomies, lol.  really like srikanth tho, he's a pretty funny guy.  you supposed to check in at 5:30 too?
Kathy P.
on 3/23/09 4:32 pm - Port Orchard, WA

Ice chewing is a good idea...I did that and it helped.  Best of luck to both of you! Make sure to keep us posted...

Getting ready for the rest of your lives!!! HOW EXCITING!!!

Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
(deactivated member)
on 3/24/09 9:24 am
Best Wishes to both you and Madae on your upcoming surgeries.  I have Dr. S too and he is wonderful.  Make sure to bring lots of reading material and dress comfortably as Dr. S old NP told me that he usually does the most evasive surgery 1st than works his way to the least evasive.  Which means Madae will most likely be first up.  Those poor lap band patients end up being at the end of the line.  They don't like to say who goes in what order because they want all patients for that day to check in at 5:30 am. The NP said he could change the order he takes patients, but all the people I know of it did go in this order including me.  There were 3 of us the day of my surgery and he did the medial bypass first than my proximal bypass and then the lapband patient.  They took me back to the pre-op area as he was finishing with the medial surgery before me.  It's great that you and Madae will be able to recover together, you can walk the halls together.  It's always nice to have someone there for support.

Congrats and Best wishes to you both!
kschroeder
on 3/24/09 10:20 am
Yes.  5:30 it is!  Thanks for the wishes.  I'm excited and scared all in one bundle.  It is strange to think how much your life will change in a week.....feels like I'm getting married again.  Dr. S. is a funny guy.  Ura has been terrific too.  I'm not sure what I would do without her daily email!  I'll be anxious to meet in person....  :-)  Only seven days left!
Mdae
on 3/25/09 5:55 am
ya hangin' in there with the liquid diet?  i don't even get protein today (have to do a colonoscopy prep, ick!)...  but i dunno what they expect to be cleaning out, since i've been on liquids for several days now.
Most Active