Puget Sound Surgical? Or other after care choices near Seattle?

Britt U.
on 3/17/09 11:04 am - Mill Creek, WA
Hi WA folks,

I have a lap band that was placed in August 2008. It's been great but I recently started to gain weight and found out two weeks ago that I had inflamation and possibly a minor slip. My doctor is about two hours away and is no  longer covered by my insurance. So I ended up seeing Dr. Billings at Puget Sound Surgical today. He says I could replace my band with a larger band (which seems to have less issues with slippage) or revise to a sleeve but that my surgery looks well done and I could probably do just fine with the band I have. He suggested starting with their year long aftercare program. I'm going to have an endoscopy on Friday just to make sure everything looks good inside.

Here's the problem. A revision would be covered by my insurance. But Puget Sound Surgical doesn't bill insurance for after care. It would cost $3,500 for a year of nutrition and behavior support. montly doctor follow-ups and fills. That's a lot of money but my husband is open to it if that kind of care would help me get back on track and losing to my goal.

Has anyone gone to Puget Sound Surgicals after care program? If so, could you share your experience and whether it made a big difference to your success?

I could continue with my current doc at $250 a visit an a 5 hour return trip travel. Or I could just visit the nutritionist separately. Or I could just cough up the $300 per month for aftercare and really commit to it. I'm not sure what to do.

I can't find any other docs around here that would take on a lap band patient banded by someone else locally. But if you're in the Seattle area and have a doc who takes on pre-banded patients I'd love to hear from you too.

Thanks!
Britt
Nicki H.
on 3/17/09 12:42 pm - WA
Lap Band on 08/12/08 with
Hi,
I haven't visited this Dr before but they are in Olympia/Tumwater/Lacey area.  I have talked to them and they will "service" us that were banded elsewhere.  But, this is also a long trip and may even be the same doc.

I delivered 6 weeks early a 5lb 15oz lil boy:)  After spending 2 months on bed rest in the hospital and Mason spending 11 days in the NICU, we're both home and doing great!  Mason is getting bigger and gaining weight like he should.  Now it's my turn to lose this weight!  It's tough to get back on the band wagon...I CAN do this!

Britt U.
on 3/17/09 2:29 pm - Mill Creek, WA
Hi Nicole,

I think you're thinking of Pacific Surgical. They're in Olympia and they actually did my lap band. They're great but a little far for me now. Puget Sound surgical is in Edmonds near where I live but aftercare is $3,500. Pretty much nobody else besides these two will take other patients. I'm probably either going to go for the local guy or keep trying to find someone closer that will accept my insurance.

Britt
Mdae
on 3/18/09 4:44 am
i think the sleeve is a great option, if a restrictive proceedure is all that you 'need'.  not saying you should just jump at it - just saying i wouldn't dismiss it entirely.  don't have to worry about fills/unfills/shelflife... 
Britt U.
on 3/21/09 9:13 am - Mill Creek, WA
I probably would go for a gastric sleeve if it was covered by insurance. I know some insurers have covered it but the doctor's office doesn't seem to want to try. On the other hand, my band was great until I derailed and didn't get a fill when I needed it.

I had an endocscopy on Friday by the new doctor. He saw a small stretched area above the band and the nurse told me that he would be recommending the gastric sleeve at my follow up. I ended up calling my original docs office and the nurse told me they'll likely recommend surgery to correct it without replacing the band. And would likely put me on more liquids and try a refill first.

Sigh. I just want to stop gaining weight.

Britt
tiggerfan0464
on 3/25/09 1:36 pm - Everett, WA
i havent post like forever on the WA board. But due to my insurance not covering Puget Sound anymore I now go to Dr. Lauter in Bellevue.  I enjoy seeing him and he does work with other patience that he hasnt done surgery on before. You just have to do a few test and then he goes from there.

Good luck.
Most Active