Self pay Dr. Srikanth $?

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/09 9:33 am - .., WA
Does anyone know how much the switch would be if Im self pay? My insurance only covers RNY, band, sleve. From what I have read DS is better. so, info appreciated :)

DreamWeaver
Mdae
on 3/16/09 10:20 am
i replied on the DS  board - he quoted me a minimum of 25k - if there were no complications.  i'd check other options.
Amy R.
on 3/16/09 10:43 am

Dr. Srikanth has a price sheet for all othe basics surgeries.  Sometimes it's included  in your workshop packet, sometimes not, but they will usually fax/email you a copy if you ask.  Might want to give them a call

good luck,
amy

maxs_mom
on 3/17/09 2:41 am, edited 3/17/09 2:43 am - Auburn, WA
I was self-pay with Dr. Srikanth for VSG on 11/19/2008.   He’s expensive; he’s also the best in WA, IMHO, and I would have gone out of state before allowing anyone else to perform WLS on me.  St. Francis Hospital's Center For Weight Loss Surgery (http://www.stfrancisweightforlife.org/paying-for-weight-loss -surgery.htm) states:

Cost for Gastric Bypass surgery
There are different types of Gastric Bypass surgery and some are done via open surgery or using laparoscopic techniques.  Because there are many variables, there is not a specific price for Gastric Bypass, however, you can expect to pay somewhere between $20,000 and $25,000 for all of your services.  Discuss this with your surgeon to get a better idea of the total cost for the specific type of Gastric Bypass surgery you choose.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT THE PRICE "QUOTED" ABOVE DOES NOT INCLUDE THE COSTS OF THE INITIAL SURGICAL CONSULATION WITH DR. SRIKANTH, THE COST OF ANY OF HIS EXTENSIVE PRE-OP CONSULTS, LABS, PROCEDURES AND EXAMS THAT ARE DEPENDENT UPON YOUR UNIQUE HEALTH HISTORY. NOR DOES IT INCLUDE THE FOLLOW-UP CARE, LABS, EXAMS, ETC.  THE $20,000 TO $25,000 ESTIMATE IS ONLY FOR DR. SRIKANTH'S SURGIAL FEE, HIS SURGICAL ASSISTANT'S FEE, THE HOSPITAL CHARGES, AND THE ANASTHESIOLOGIST FOR THE DAY/NIGHT YOU ARE IN THE HOSPITAL FOR THE ACTUAL PROCEDURE.

Although my insurance did not cover any treatment for obesity, not even nutritional counseling, based on employer exclusion, they have paid for everything else in terms of labs, exams, consults, etc. based on my co-morbidities. I have in writing that they will cover any complication that may develop.  If my insurance hadn't picked up the costs of labs, procedures, exams, etc. it would have been literally twice the$14,500.00 I paid out of pocket for the surgery itself.

I know it’s easier said than done, especially in this economy, but please don’t let cost be the sole determining factor for who performs your surgery.  What may “seem" cheaper to begin with may wind up costlier long term due to a variety of factors.  I’m not talking solely about complications here, I am talking about the relationship you WILL develop with your surgeon and his staff for life if you truly want to make a lifetime commitment to first achieving significant weight loss and then maintaining it as well as the type of support you WILL need regardless of who wields the scalpel!

Best wishes on your journey to a happier, healthier and longer life,

Amy

Susan O.
on 3/17/09 3:32 am - Tacoma, WA
RNY on 06/27/07 with
Okay DW - why is a DS "better"? What have you based your decision on? Mortality rates? Amount of excess weight loss? Larger amounts of food you can eat? Gas, odor or other side effects? I know people with 5 different types of surgeries. All have had good weight loss, and all would recommend their surgery as the best! Please do a little more research before you put yourself in huge debt for something your ins. will cover. If you had complications (not unheard of) your planned $25,000, could skyrocket to hundreds of thousands.
   On another note, have you talked with DR S.? When I met with him and asked about DS, (2+ years ago) he said he only did DS on 55 or higher BMI. This may have changed, but he wants to do the surgery he thinks will be the best for you without compromising your health.
   If you haven't attended any support group meetings, please do! You will get loads of info and get to talk to people that have "been there, done that"! I don't know where you are located, but you are welcome to the Thru Thick N' Thin Support group next Monday, March 23rd, 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the Summit Branch of the Pierce Co. Library. Please click on the link by my name, or PM me for more info.
Good Luck!.

Susan 

www.obesityhelp.com/group/ttnt/

RNY 6/2007   120 pounds lost - GOAL!!

Mdae
on 3/17/09 5:45 am
my BMI is nowhere near 55, and Dr. S is doing my DS.  he did say, however - that he won't offer it to just anyone - that he wants to be certain that the patient is committed to follow-up care and has a good understanding of the necessity of supplementation, etc.

the DS is better (IMO, and for me), in many ways.  not that i would begrudge anyone making their own decision.  but, education is key.  if someone is ignorant, they don't have the means to make the 'best' choice for them - which could be as simple as 'diet and exercise'.

i know 6 RNYers quite well, IRL, and only one has maintained an 'overweight' status.  the others are still morbidly obese (several years out).  and 2 have severe kidney issues from non-compliance as far as water intake.  oh, and y'know what else?  they have bigger odor issues than the many, many DSers i've met.  still, these are not my reasons for choosing a DS instead.  i researched and researched and researched some more.   and, allow me to be blunt enough to say that ANYONE (DSer, bander, RNYer... whatever) who hops under a surgeon's knife without a very thorough understanding of the surgery itself (and their surgeon's track record), is a complete idiot, IMO.  but i understand what it's like being fat, and i would wish them success just the same.
(deactivated member)
on 3/17/09 4:49 am - .., WA
Have any of you heard of DR Pennings in Idaho? I can have RNY with him or Dr Bright in Spokane. My insh will pay for this surgery (RNY) with them. Opinions, please.
Mdae
on 3/17/09 5:47 am
my opinion, is that you couldn't pay me to have an RNY or lap-band.   i would wait, if i had to.  i'd get a part-time job at starbucks, and when that insurance kicked in, i'd get a DS.
(deactivated member)
on 3/17/09 2:10 pm
DW,

I had RNY with Dr. S. in December and I couldn't be happier.  I am 1/2 way to my goal in just 13 weeks.   What is your hesitation toward RNY? 
I realize Mdae is not a fan of RNY and her choice is DS however I am just the opposite.  I know someone who had DS and she does carry an odor.  She also runs deficient in certain vitamins.  I realize this is not the case with every patient and that there are several people happy with the DS but there are just as many people happy with the RNY.
The best thing you can do for yourself is to research both surgeries as much as you can.  If your insurance will pay for the RNY that is what I would go with unless you feel you absolutely can not live the RNY life style which I don't think is difficult but that is me.
Best wishes to you, and if you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to ask that is what everyone is here for.
maxs_mom
on 3/17/09 7:12 pm, edited 3/18/09 10:03 am - Auburn, WA
Thank you, smileegirl73, for interceding before this thread devolved into a "my procedure is better than your's discussion".

I appreciate your honesty and diplomacy

Amy

Edited only to correct spelling mistakes - as you can see by original date/time stamp, I was super tired which transforms me from a bad typist into a truly horrendous one!

Most Active