Eating too fast????

Momof2ArmyBrats
on 3/14/09 5:25 am
Hey all! I feel like I am eating way too fast. I haven't had any problems but from reading my handy dandy green notebook(for those who had surgery at Madigan) it say I should be taking 15 mins to finish 1 oz. I fin**** in about 5-10 mins and I complete my meal in about 20 not 30 like it says. So my question here is what did you use to make sure you didn't eat too fast? Am I eating too fast???
Anna

girly_girl
on 3/14/09 7:30 am - McChord AFB, WA
I didn't have my surgery at Madigan - so I'm not sure what you were told, but  I would put my fork down between every bite.  Slowing your eating benefits you in the long run by helping you establish better eating habits.  It sounds like you are doing well, like everything else, it just takes practice. :)
Angelina
Angelina 
Pre-Op: 253 - Lowest: 148 - Current: 158
Beetle
on 3/14/09 1:26 pm - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
I think we're all so different, the same rules don't always apply.

Sure, take it slowly, but if you're doing well, feeling well, etc, then surely all is good, right?

Some people have all sorts of problems and they wish they could be more "normal", I'd say do what feels right and sensible to you, and enjoy whatever is easy for you.

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

jillianD
on 3/15/09 1:50 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Hey Anna, your are still on purees so it doesn't apply as much as when you start in on solids.  Once you are there you will want to slow down more to give yourself time to recognise when you are full or if something is stuck.
Streach it out as long as you can, it is a good habit to build on for the future.  Sounds like you are doing well!!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Emerald47
on 3/15/09 2:25 pm - Renton, WA
Hello!

One trick that has helped me to slow down was to go out and buy some appitizer plates (they are about 4" square), forks and spoons. The forks and spoons are so small, that I am 'forced' to take really small bites which helps make the smaller portions take longer. And of course, the smaller plates make it look like more!!

Mental games are sometimes necessary for us, but we are all different and maybe you can eat faster? I know for myself that if I finish my 2 oz of whatever too quickly I get very sick. Others might not have that problem.

Good luck!!

Momof2ArmyBrats
on 3/16/09 2:21 am
I have toddlers so I use thier plates which are small and I use a baby spoon. I bought a timer on Saturday so I will see if that helps as I transition into purees. Still scared to try other foods besides cottage cheese which is really good right now.
Anna

Susan O.
on 3/16/09 8:45 am - Tacoma, WA
RNY on 06/27/07 with
Hey Anna - you're doing great! If the food stays down, you did it right! You'll know by the pain when you've eaten something too fast or too big of a piece. Try some smushed refried beans with a sprinkle of cheese tonight - I think you're ready!

Susan 

www.obesityhelp.com/group/ttnt/

RNY 6/2007   120 pounds lost - GOAL!!

Most Active