A Difficult Transition, Mentally - RE clothing

maxs_mom
on 3/14/09 7:20 am, edited 3/14/09 4:35 pm - Auburn, WA
Yesterday, the delightful Karin and I met at Gene Coulon Park in Renton and she took some pictures of me before we headed back to her home for a yummy lunch and continuing fabulous conversation.

Please note the new avatar!  She's good, huh?

I was very (very very very very) nervous about the "photo shoot" because I wore clothes that "fit" (meaning they touched my body).  I think a lot of us, even after we start losing weight, continue to think that "bigger is better" or "the baggy clothes will disguise my girth".  Well, umm, lightbulb moment for me when looking at the photos Karin took.  See for yourself.  The before was literally one day previous and features me in my standary daily "uniform".

Did I feel awkward?  You bet I did!  Am I hyper critical of myself in this and other photos from yesterday?  You bet I am!  My head will catch up eventually...

Amy

also posting in following forums: Dr. Srikanth, VSG, Over 50 BMI's, VSGrs With 150 Or More To Go

curiousasacat
on 3/14/09 9:08 am - WA
Your avatar looks fantastic... You look very happy! Yeah, I've gone through many changes in clothes... it doesn't do justice when wearing baggy clothing when just the right fit clothing can compliment the body (and boost self-esteem).

Eileen O.
on 3/14/09 9:53 am - Blackwood Terrace, NJ
Girl you look FAB-U-LOUS!!!!!

Keep up the excellent work and enjoy life you sexy thing!Pink is a great color on you and your hair cut is adorable. You need to dress up everyday...make-up, lips stick and nice outfit! It does so much for the self esteem!

Peace~ Eileen
Powerful Women's Motto : Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says, "Oh Noooooo....SHE's awake!!"
xkendraxshubby
on 3/14/09 12:13 pm
Amy you look great...Next time have me do the shoot...;)  ..Glad you had a fun time.

Karl
Beetle
on 3/14/09 12:41 pm - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
I was thrilled that Amy decided to let me take some photos of her.

She was looking lovely in her spiffy new outfits, pretty hair and make-up - I felt inspired to try a little harder myself  :-)

Amy, I totally understand what you're saying about the clothes touching, I am still not quite ready for it, but the baggy stuff definitively doesn't look any good!

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

Dapme
on 3/14/09 12:49 pm - kingwood, TX
Amy you look great!

The new Avatar...totally rocks. (karin I may need you to).

It was great seeing you today...you are an inspiration to all of us.

Denise
jcheryld
on 3/14/09 12:53 pm
I posted a comment on your pic but I'm glad you put this on the boards, too. I wholeheartedly agree that clothes that fit properly make all the difference! I never understood looking at all the beore & after pics on this site why people would be wearing super big clothes (and not the same outfit either) just looking dumpy. I now know why... I'm losing weight so fast that clothes that fit me properly last month are already getting baggy and looking a mess. I've been busy selling my business attire on Ebay and it feels good to get some $ for those nicer things. I've realized that I have 2 closets and 2 dressers full of clothes that don't fit me properly that I'll have to get rid of, and I just don't have the finances for a complete wardrobe overhaul! So, belts are my friend for now, as I transition with great things I get from Goodwill that I wear once or twice a week LOL.

Thanks for the thoughtful post!
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

maxs_mom
on 3/14/09 3:55 pm, edited 3/14/09 4:02 pm - Auburn, WA
Thanks for the compliments!  I see that Karin updated her avatar, too!  

Since I'm currently not working (professionally speaking...I am working my ass off going to physical therapy, clinical massge, chiropractic appointments, doctor appointments, yoga class, the gym, etc) I haven't really been forced to confront the clothing issue except to whine about the literally thousands of dollars I spent in the past (as an obese person working in traditionally conservative professions, it not only cost a lot of money to dress in business attire, but I always felt that I had to have the perfect hair, clothing, make-up etc just to be on even footing with the sloppiest person in the office) and how it's no longer useful to me.  I've already gone through of my stash of various sizes and know I need to dress my size, but I can't justify the expense of much more than smaller underwear.   Unfortunately, I'm still at a size where there's not much selection at thrift stores.  Juanita, you need to give me a tutorial on selling on Ebay!

FYI, if you are planning to attend the OH Seattle Event (actually in Bellevue) 08/14-16/2009, there's going to what I imagine will be a *HUGE* clothing swap on Friday! 

*I* think that every surgeon/facility/support group should encourage members to bring clothing to exchange to every meeting (as well as protein, supplements, etc that they bought, tried, and didn't like).  I actually bought the clothing for my photo shoot at Nordstom's (ooh la la, schmancy) only because 1) I had a gift card from over 4 years ago (even then, at about 360, the clothes in their pus size dept were too small), and 2) I really wanted to look nice for the Barry Manilow concert my mother and I are going to tomorrow night (I am uber excited, and I am not being facetious).  I, too, have many clothes that are too big, including a sizeable stash that I obtained through clothing swaps that I've skinnnied out of!  An entire spare bedroom is filled with stacks, closet bursting, etc. and then there's my regular closet and drawers.  I've made a pledge to not take in any more until I get rid of those.  However, this was a special occasion - both Barry and Karin "deserved" to see me at my sexiest!

Amy

maz
on 3/14/09 4:40 pm - Puyallup, WA
Wow Amy - you look amazing in your pic. I hate having my pic taken, but try to at least once a year. Ha I even get mad at my family when they try to catch me in pictures. As for clothes - I don't know if you'd have any that fit me, but if you do I'll gladly take them off of your hands.

As for the clothing issue hmmmm up until I discovered websites like Roaman's and Woman Within I really didn't have many options in finding clothes that I liked to wear. All they had here was Catherine's Plus Sizes. Other stores may have plus sizes but rarely do they go above 3X.  I'd like to think that I can look descent when going out for someone as big as myself. I like baggy comfortable clothes when I'm at home, when I go to the gym. And as big as I am I find I get very cold bbbrrrr I hate wearing lots of layers because I always feel like I'm suffocating. I like to wear long sleeves because I don't like my arms and I don't like my legs either.

I was browsing the forums and saw your post.
AMY YOU LOOK GORGEOUS!!
Pre Op Weight: 750lbs 2002
Roux En Y January 24 2003
Lowest Weight Post Op: 477lbs 2003
Last weight: 574.2lbs Feb 23 2009

jillianD
on 3/15/09 1:38 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Hi Amy you look great!  Karin is wonderful isn't she? * smoochies Karin!!*

Your right in the fact that proper fit and good foundation garments make a world of difference in how you look.  Don't be afraid to strut your stuff.  Even at the size I am now, I have a hard time liking the way I look, I think it is because I see myself naked....Yikers...It is very hard to differentiate the extra skin from fat. 

Now back to those clothes, sell them on EBay, you can get decent money from plus size clothes because they are harder to find.  I am always shopping the clearance racks, You can find some really good deals out there if you look.  Also try on things that you maybe wouldn't have before, you will be in for some surprises!!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Most Active