UHHHH??? What's up with Dr. Oh's staff?????

mysecondchance
on 3/13/09 6:13 am
I have called Dr. Oh's office twice about this," clear liquid diet for two weeks" thing each time they told me yes that's correct clears for 2 weeks.
I just couldn'y believe that people could do this so easily so,  I went to drop off my payment for surgery and asked the receptionist "How do people do with this clear liquid diet for two weeks thing?", and she said " most people say it's the best diet ever".
Well I started feeling like a compleate faliure that I was feeling really scared about it and frankley new i couldn't do it. Well today I called to basicaly tell them I needed to have at least  a protein shake everyday and they said " Oh you poor thing did you not recieve your packet?" I said "What packet?" then she went on to say I could have lots of things like taomato juice and protein shakes and so on... Am I crazy or is this not very good care? I think they pushed me through so fast that they missed some important info I needed to know. Yes I finally got the info I needed after 4 trys.
I needed to vent that, I am sorry, I'ts just that I am paying so much money and have cleared my schedule all this month to adheare to all of these appts,my mother is babysitting all the time and now I feel like my Dr.'s office is forgetting about me or maybe it's like there treating me like a number I don't know. 
I know this was long and thank you so much for being here, I know it dosn't sound like it now but I am so grateful for this surgery this oppertunity and I do believe in Dr. Oh I just feel a liitle forgotton I g uess.
Anyway I can have protein Hurrrrayyyy!!!!!   
"...We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you...." 
                                                                                                                   Marianne Williamson 

m0mmy0f3
on 3/13/09 6:52 am
Did you go to the nutrition class? I know you're self pay, but I thought the nutrition class was required for everyone. Anyway, I agree with you! I wouldn't be able to do just a clear diet without some kind of "substance"! :)
I just wanted to say also good luck on your surgery coming up. I am going for the VSG too, but I have to go through insurance. Kaye just faxed them my paperwork today, so I am crossing my fingers for that one!! 
Dapme
on 3/13/09 7:51 am - kingwood, TX
It can be confusing!

I think the staff think they are being clear....but we know the arent.

I start my 10 days of liquid tomorrow.....

we can do it.

Good Luck.

Denise
mysecondchance
on 3/13/09 12:25 pm
Yes we can do it!!!! I think my brain is hungry I just need to make sure I am clear with the office ladies I guess and be my own advocate. I found a great protein mix it's called Willies Tri Pro. 25 grams of protein and 125 cals and 5 carbs and it tastes really good. I am not sure where you are at but there company is local in Black Diamond. 
Good Luck on Liquids
Jen 
"...We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you...." 
                                                                                                                   Marianne Williamson 

mysecondchance
on 3/13/09 12:18 pm
Oh I will keep my fingers crossed for you definitley!!! I am going to the nutrition class Mon. and I am sure I will get all the info I need there. 
Good Luck on the insur. from my research if it's not an exclusion by your employer you can almost always get approval if ya hang in there!!! 
Thanks 
Jen 
                                                                                                                   Marianne Williamson 

Shelli S.
on 3/13/09 1:46 pm
I have had similar experiences with the office. I've basically done all my own leg work on getting everything I need to get approved. They have a really hard time returning phone calls.
I went in on this last Wednesday for my 2nd  appointment which also was my last Pre-OP appointment with Dr Oh before surgery and they asked me "How was my liquid diet going"? I said what liquid diet? Apparently I was supposed to start that at my 2 weeks. I asked them when did they tell me that? Well I was 1 day late with out any notice basically blind sided. Oh well I do have confidence in Dr. Oh ability to do this surgery very well so maybe looking forward to that will be enough. Just hoping the office staff will be more supportive after surgery.
mysecondchance
on 3/13/09 11:26 pm
Shelli,
I do have confidence in Dr. Oh and the staff a St. Francis I think your gonna do great !!!! Your two days before me , we could be WLS sisters ha ha. I think if we stay with this support on OH and I know there are local support groups that meet a couple of times a month we will be fine. We will be our own advocates and make sure we have all the info we need before we leave the hospital, research research research !!!!! Hopefully we don't get blind sided again!!!
Thoughts and Hugs go out to you on surgery day and you do the same for me OK?
Jen
                                                                                                                   Marianne Williamson 

maxs_mom
on 3/14/09 6:48 am, edited 3/14/09 6:53 am - Auburn, WA

I AM SO VERY PROUD OF YOU!   YOU DID EXACTLY WHAT I WAS HOPING YOU WOULD - YOU BECAME YOUR OWN ADVOCATE!  YEA FOR YOU!  HIP HIP HOORAY! 

Our previous conversation had led to me believe that either Dr. OH's pre-op plan was medically unsound, which was disconcerting due to his close affiliation with Dr. Srikanth, or you were missing a vital piece of paperwork, misunderstood the instructions, etc.  I treaded lightly and am glad that you continued to listen to body and pursued the issue  until you got the CORRECT answer and information you needed.

That said, I think it's absolute BS that the medical receptionist (or any other administrative staff) either has the authority or thinks she does, to advise patients when they need a medical issue addressed!  You need to make Dr. Oh's office aware of that situation ASAP!  You spoke up...I'm sure you're not alone in either not receiving all of the paperwork or misunderstanding the pre-op regime, what about those who don't and actaully spend two weeks on nothing but clear liquids with no protein shakes?  This journey is hard enough; we don't need the extra issue of feeling weak mentally and physically pre-op.  We need to be strong going in to surgery!

Sure, it's human nature for a person to ask a seemingly innocuous question or make a off-hand remark to the office (adminsitrative) staff, but given that NUTRITION IS A LIFE AND DEATH ISSUE FOR THE WLS COMMUNITY, whomever is answering the phone or sitting at the front desk, should have the patient talk to a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL (MA - LPN - RN - BSN - ARNP) present and available during office hours when a patient remarks, in person or on the phone, especially repeatedly, that they are finding the diet difficult for whatever reason (cravings, hunger, fatigue, dizziness, etc.).  We're not just a bunchy of whiny, weak, undisciplined people who need a bit of tough love!

I'd put this down in any WLS related journal, blog, etc that you may be keeping as it was a moment when you listened to your body, found your voice, and keep asking until you got the correct information! 

Congratulations,

Amy

PinkFlamingoes
on 3/15/09 3:00 pm - Buckley, WA
I am really sorry you went through this . I was self pay , too . Unfortunately a lot of things changed in Dr. Oh's office when he switched to Fransiscan . He used to have a full time nutritionist , in his office . I had to go to 2 nutrition classes . One in his office with Tina , who lost her job when he switched . And the other was at St. Francis . I knew about the liquid diet 1 1/2 months before I had to do it . I actually started it earlier than I had to . I was terrified I wouldn't lose the required amount . lol . Things are less organized & more rushed now , at Dr. Oh's office . But , he is an excellent surgeon & worth the confusion . I now see Dr. Hirai , who is adorable .

mysecondchance
on 3/16/09 12:34 am
Thank you so much for your reply, that makes me feel so much better to hear you had a posotive expierence with Dr. Oh. I am getting a littlle nervouse with surgery a week away now so your expierience makes me feel asured. 
Jen 
                                                                                                                   Marianne Williamson 

Most Active