Support group near Puyallup

Sarah K.
on 3/9/09 9:37 am - Orting, WA

Hello there!
I'm having surgery on March 12 and am looking for a support group in Puyallup.  I have heard that there is one at St. Joseph's hospital, just looking to see if there is anything a little closer...
Thanks

xkendrax
on 3/9/09 10:07 am - Yelm, WA

Hi, I'm not sure if there is any in the Puyallup area.  I, myself, would love to find one there (I live in Bonney Lake.)

Anyway, I am going to the Auburn Support Group meeting tomorrow.  Amy is the one presenting and it is going to be on Mind Body.  If you want to carpool, I will be leaving Bonney Lake around 5:45. 

Kendra

MySpace: myspace.com/xkendra
Highest: 261 / Surgery (03/11/09): 242.3/ Current: 122.8/ Goal: 105

Dapme
on 3/9/09 10:35 am - kingwood, TX
Vitalady lives in Puyallup. She has 2 support groups each month.

I don't know the days...but I know it is on her website!

Good Luck...

Denise 
maxs_mom
on 3/9/09 5:22 pm - Auburn, WA
Whoopee Woohoo - You're attending the Auburn Suppport Group the day before your surgery!  That's fantastic and representative of the type of effort and dedidcation required for long term weight loss success!  I'll do my best, as will others, to get you into the best possible mental state before you check-in at 5:00 AM (ugh) at St. Francis on Wednesday morning! 

If it's any help, but don't quote me on this, I think that Dr. Srikanth does the most time consuming procedures (which would be DS patients and then RNY procedures before any restrictive procedures with the exception of extremely high risk patients) so it may not be too long of a day sitting around waiting.  Regardless, be prepared for the possibility of an outrageously long wait by bringing an ipod, magazines, even games to play with whomeever is going to be your person at he hospital with you.  My Mom and I played banagrams, a silly crossword/scrabble/boggle-esque game that cames in a cute fabric banana case! Did you do your actual hospital pre-op regitration in person or over the phone because I know that St. Francis provides surgery patients with a CD that is meant to help you relax and prepare your mind/body for the process (hey, a perfet tie in to the support group topic)!  If you don't have that CD, let me know and I'll give you mine tomorrow night!

Amy

Sarah K.
on 3/10/09 4:05 am - Orting, WA
Kendra...thank you so much for your reply.  I actually work tonight until 6:20 but maybe I'll swing by there after work.  I appreciate you offering to car pool!
nancy6
on 3/9/09 11:10 am, edited 3/9/09 11:12 am - Tacoma, WA
Hi!  There are some great groups in the Puyallup area:

Vitalady (Michelle & Don Curran) - 2nd Tuesday of the month and the following day (Wednesday - not always the second Wednesday as it depends what day the month starts).  She is located around 120th and 78th Avenue.  Check out www.vitalady.com for details or give her a call.  Tomorrow and Wednesday of this week are the meetings - they start around 7:00.

Enjoy Health (Merrilou Gronholdt) - 2nd Tuesday of the month in Auburn.  Near the game farm park.  Check out www.enjoyhealth.com for more details.  There will be a presentation about exercise, mind and body stuff tomorrow evening.  Starts at 6:30.

Thru Thick n Thin - this is an OH support group that meets at the Summit Library (112th and Canyon).  The meeting time has been changing a little, but the next meeting is March 23 at 5:30 p.m.  Susan is the leader and she is trained by OH to be a support group leader.  You should be able to check out the group on OH - if I did this correctly, you can find it by clicking on this link:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ttnt/

I would recommend any or all of these.  I attend them all and get different things out of each of them.  Give them all a try and see what you think.  Hope to see you there!
Nancy

~Nancy~

Susan O.
on 3/10/09 12:46 am - Tacoma, WA
RNY on 06/27/07 with
HI!
    Nancy already mentioned the "Thru Thick N' Thin" support group, but I want to add that we would love to have you join us! The March meeting will be a little early out of surgery for you, but definitely hope to see you in April! (Monday, April 27, 5:30-7:30) Please go to http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ttnt  to get all the details. If you join the group online I will be able to send you reminders.
   Having WLS is one of the best decisions I ever made! Best of luck to you, and please call me at 253-847-9737 if I can be of any help either before or after the surgery.
Big Hugs!  Susan

Susan 

www.obesityhelp.com/group/ttnt/

RNY 6/2007   120 pounds lost - GOAL!!

Sarah K.
on 3/10/09 4:06 am - Orting, WA

Thank you so much to everyone *****sponded to this post!  I will definately be trying out these groups to see which one I fit into best!  I appreciate all of you!

Sarah

maxs_mom
on 3/11/09 5:20 pm, edited 3/11/09 5:28 pm - Auburn, WA
Hi, Sarah!

I'm so glad that you were able to make it to Merrilou's last night.  It was a pleasure meeting you!  I hope you found the meeting at least a little useful ( I was rather nervous and a bit anxious as it was only my 2nd time facilitating a WLS specific event, which is completely different, in my experience, than meetings I've led in professional environments) and enjoyed meeting the fabulous group of folks in attendance last night!

Amy

edited to add that unless I am talking to a complete stranger that I did not meet last night, you appear to have lost a significant amount of weight pre-op!  Congratulations!

Most Active