Virginia Mason Support Group Th 03/05/2009 6:00-8:00 PM

maxs_mom
on 3/4/09 6:44 pm - Auburn, WA
I received an email invitation directly from Virginia Mason a week ago to attend this support group meeting (which I attended once previously in Dec as the guest of a VM WLS patient) and am seriously considering attending.  However, as I live in Auburn, a meeting on a weeknight in downtown Seattle is quite the adventurous undertaking and so I was wondering if anyone else is attending.  I'd like to see some faces I see far to rarely (like Helen, Seattel Deb, Juanita, Kim, John, etc) due to our different surgeons/facilities/procedures and would like to get an idea of who may be attending which will influence my decision on whether to make the trek (not as far as from Burlington I know, Kim & John).  Also, if anyone is attending and would like to take possession of clothing sized 26/28 to 34/36, let me know and I'd be happy to move some stacks of clothes from my home to your trunk!

Amy

Helen_Anne
on 3/5/09 4:12 am - Bremerton, WA

I usually go... since its just across the street from my office... but I have had stuff going on every night this week... so I think I will just head home after work...

Amy... since I did not get the email/flyer ... what is the topic tonight?

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

maxs_mom
on 3/5/09 3:58 pm - Auburn, WA
It's very strange that you, a patient of Dr. Hunter, didn't get the email/flyer and I, a patient with a different surgeon affiliated with a different hospital did!  I guess the communication issue is similar with a number of surgeons/facilities!

The topic was "Nutrition Supplements: Important Nutrients After Weight Loss Surgery" and I'm certain that the basics covered on the handouts are well known to you! 

Amy

jcheryld
on 3/5/09 6:18 am
I won't be able to go, either. Work has been crazy lately and I am working into the evening tonight (hence why I am home now). Have fun if you do go!
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

seattledeb
on 3/5/09 2:41 pm
Oh no...no one got to go! I'm at work tonight-I tried to switch schedules but it was a no go. I hope to see you next month.
Deb
maxs_mom
on 3/5/09 3:54 pm - Auburn, WA

Well boy howdy!  I sure wish we'd all had the opportunity to see one another tonight!

I went to the support group, but I was late, partly due to the fact that I didn't read the flyer carefully enough to notice that the location had changed.   I spent 20 minutes once I parked to finding the appropriate building only to find all doors locked, having to return to the main entrance and cross the skybridge to the Lindeman Pavilion, etc etc. 

It was a good size group but the only person I recognized from the Dec meeting was Susan who is almost 5 years post-op and spends the majority of her time on OH in the PS forum.  She's a great lady and she remembered me!

Although I literally missed 1/2 of the meeting, the nutritionist, Julie K. Taborski, MS, RD, CD was very nice and did a nice job of mixing "presentation" with "interaction".  I gave her my business card as she appears to be genuinely interested in the field of bariatrics and wants info on the various "local" support groups, websites, and other resources.  I also gave her the info about the OH Seattle event that I’d printed out to distribute at the meeting.

I'm so sorry we couldn't meet up, but hopefully we'll see each other soon!

Amy

sspev
on 3/6/09 6:30 am - Seattle area (Everett), WA

Hi Amy,
I was delighted to see you last night, and your progress in the time since your surgery last November is amazing -- how long has it been for you -- about 15 weeks?  Prior to the surgery, I think none of us realize how healthy and active and energetic we can become, so fast!  I remember how, pre-RNY, I would stroll through the grocery store, leaning on the cart.  Then afterwards, I could breeze through the store quickly, and not even pick up a cart.  I had an awesome moment about 3 months post-op, standing in a check-out line holding 3 packs of "light lemonade", and no cart or basket!

It's great for those of us who are farther out from our surgery to have reminders from "fresh faces" of our journey; it helps us to not become complacent, and brings us back to our "rules", to help keep us on track.  Thanks so much for making the effort to travel from Auburn!

VM Federal Way does their support group meeting the last Wed of every month.  I don't receive messages about topics, but from Auburn that may be another group you could easily hook into if you're so inclined.  For those who live North, we have a group that meets at Stevens Hospital (Edmonds) the second Thursday of every month, 7 - 9 pm, and is open to everyone.  We generally have a clothing exchange (if people bring clothing), and we also usually have samples to try, and usually have a speaker.  It's a great group for pre and post-op, newbies and oldies -- everyone welcome!

Take care, Amy -- hopefully I'll meet up with you again from time to time, at meetings somewhere in the area.

maxs_mom
on 3/6/09 7:17 pm - Auburn, WA
The delight was mutual!

I'm actually kind of a support group junkie!  I attend as many as I can.  I enjoy meeting people and learning in general (were I independently wealthy, I'd be a proessional student).  I'll definitely look into the Federal Way VM group!  I thought the nutritionist last night was just super and would like to think I'm a pretty good judge of character.

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding my success thus far!  As you know, success takes effort and it's been especially difficult for me due to issues with chronic pain.  I still struggle (now 25% of the time as opposed to 99% of the time pre-op) with debilitating episodes, but I chose WLS because I knew it was the one thing I could do for myself that would quite simply just make me feel better.  I'm having NSV's on a daily basis that run the gamut from "small" (like having them use a regular sized blood pressure cuff) to huge (like swimming 16 laps at Bally's on Thursday!

I appreciate the knowledge that older (length of time, not age) post-op's can share.  It's exciting just to know that others have done it and are maintaining.  I truly appreciate the dedication of long-time post-ops who continue to be active in support groups, etc. 

I am sure we'll run into one another again.  I look forward to that!

Amy

Helen_Anne
on 3/5/09 11:59 pm - Bremerton, WA

BUMMER... I should have gone!!!

Not sure if Julie talked about her background/education.... she has a counseling degree in addition to her NUT degree... and one of her interests is Emotional Eating.  I am seeing her to help me with my Emotional eating that has reared it ugly head!!!

FYI... she see patients both at the VM downtown and the VM Federal Way clinic.

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

Most Active