pcp's in lacey/olympia

me myself and i
on 3/3/09 1:52 pm - somewhere
howdy...

I havent posted in forever...we just moved to Lacey from Gig Harbor and I am in search of a new PCP...I'm 4 years out and have a few issues...so I am looking for a doc who has some knowledge of DS and aftercare...

any help would be great

~Christine
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/11/09 9:37 am
Wow, another DSer in spitting distance!

I can say that Group Health docs (at least the ones I've had) are clueless about Ds, and I now see Nancy Armstrong at Womens Health Clinic, as she was more up on asthma meds (and not tied to GH's penny pinching prescription policy) and while she doesn't know much about DS, she is very interested in it, and happily learning so she can give me as good of care as possible.

I gave up looking for a doctor that is familiar with the DS, and am happy to have a doc that is anxious to learn about it. I have encountered a few that THOUGHT they were familiar with it, but they had misconceptions and seemed to be familiar with the old BPD-DS (Scopinaro method?) so I won't bother recommending them.

Welcome to the Oly/Lacey area, and good luck finding a doctor!
me myself and i
on 3/11/09 11:53 am - somewhere
hiya!

I had my DS with Dr Anthone in Nebraska...flew out from California back then...I"m happy overall...but I do have some issues...my pcp in Gig Harbor is great...he took the time to talk to DR A and get all the facts etc...but the drive is kicking me...

I'll have to see if my insurance covers teh Womens Health Clinic...

Thanks for the Tip!

~Christine
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/11/09 3:16 pm
You may have to just let this next doc talk to Dr A as well, but it's refreshing to have a physician that is so happy to learn about it.

I have hopes of getting a meeting place for WLS people in the Oly area, so I hope you can stop in to see us when we get it up and going.

me myself and i
on 3/11/09 4:08 pm - somewhere
I've been to one or two group meetings...I find that most don't have a lot of DS patients...but I am always willing to meet new people...so keep me posted :)

I could use a gym here too...one that wont cost me an arm and a leg...and one that isnt full all the time...

We do like the area here...hubby works in Dupont...we live right off of Long Lake...

any hidden gems I shoudl know about?  places to go? things to do?  I"m looking forward to nice weather so I can hit up some yard sales and whatnot...
~Christine
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/12/09 2:20 am
If you went to a group near Olympia, I'd love to hear where they meet. I've been so several, but there were quite a drive, so I'd like something closer.

There are lots of state and county parks in the area, that are great for walks, hikes, picnics, frisbee or whatever.

I really enjoy Arts Walk, which is every spring and fall in Downtown Oly, as well as the different events that happen down around Percival Landing, like Harbor Days, and the different fairs.

The farmers market is only open during the weekends during the winter, but will be open all week when it's warmer, and is a Sunday tradition for us to go get a meal or special snack. We also like to just shop there for produce, bakery stuff or meat. I'll be buying my garden plants there soon. It's also near the water so you can combine it with a nice walk.

There are many more things that come along in the warmer months like outdoor movies, Sand in the City, fairs, etc.

As for a gym, the best deal I've found is 24hr Fitness paid for via Costco, as they sell a 3 year membership for a little over $12 / month.

If you want to only pay one month at a time, the fitness center at St Peters hospital was around $17 / month last time I went, but I took a nutrition class to get that price, so it's probably a few bucks more if you've never attended something there. The hospital gym also had some time restrictions that other gyms don't have, such as an hour or two every day that is reserved to cardiac patients or something.

Yard sales! My community has one in June with LOTS of participants, so you should hit it in June. I need to start going to some for clothes, since I HATE buying new stuff that I can only wear for a short time!
me myself and i
on 3/31/09 4:54 am - somewhere
Hiya :)

sorry it took me so long to reply...got caught up with wanting to paint some rooms in the house and build some shelves...spring time I guess...not that you would know by the weather

We haven't been down to the farmers market yet...I checked out the fleamarket at the fair grounds...but it is rather small :(

I hear portland has a great antique district and a nice fleamarket...I might have to make a day trip out that way...a friend was also telling me there are a lot of great fabric and craft stores there...

I think I found a doc...we'll see...my appointment is for next Tuesday...if push comes to shove I guess I can always just keep driving to Gig Harbor...but an hour drive is kinda long to see a doc ...

hope you're doing well
~Christine
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/31/09 5:46 am
The market hours/days changed, so you may want to make sure they are open if you make a special trip.

There are so many great things to do if you don't mind an hour drive in Seattle too, like the Pike Place market and the Seattle center, with the music and science museums.
Most Active