10% weightloss pre-op

Mdae
on 3/2/09 5:30 am
i'm kinda starting to get nervous.  i'm doing a liquid diet and it sucks, and my surgery is a month away.  what happens if i don't lose 10%?  they show me the door?
Purple_Sparkles
on 3/2/09 6:05 am
Sorry I don't know about the 10%. But I am crossing my fingers that you get it! Good Luck on your Surge Date!
Nichole05/29/09 Open RNY Surgery!!! On My WLS Journey!! 
Currently --115lbs as of 11/18/2009!!
Dapme
on 3/2/09 7:31 am - kingwood, TX
Gulp....

I don't think they will show you the door.  Did they say anything to you on your last visit? Dr Srikanth is pretty strict...there must be a minimum loss he will except.

Denise
Amy R.
on 3/2/09 10:34 am
I didn't lose the whole 10% - they did the surgery anyway as scheduled.  (I was 3 or 4lbs short of what I was suppposed to lose).  The surgeon just mentioned that he wouldn't hesitate to go "open" if he had to (ie, if the liver was in the way). We were both half expecting mine to be open anyway so it was no big deal.  In the end, he was able to do it lap for which I am eternally greatful.

Be careful though and make sure you understand exactly what your surgeon expects.  There have been stories on OH (I've seen two different ones myself) of folks who got in the OR and then had their surgery postponed because when the surgeon looked at their liver it was not as shrunken as he wanted it.  All that for nothing!  They had to re-schedule after they had lost more weight.  So it is serious business - just all depends on what your surgeon is comfortable with.

good luck to you,
amy
Beetle
on 3/2/09 10:53 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
I didn't quite make the 10% either, but at least I got close enough.
However, he IS strict, and it is entirely possible that he'll postpone your surgery, so do your very best.

I found the dieting tough, especially the liquid phase. On day five I needed to use every single trick in the book to make it through without cheating.

I spent a lot of time coming to this website to look at at the before and after shots - they reminded me WHY I was doing all this and helped me get through it.

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

Kathy H.
on 3/2/09 12:44 pm - Kent, WA
HIJAK!!

Karin! I *love* the new avatar!!! And you don't make me dizzy, anymore!

:)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

Beetle
on 3/2/09 11:40 pm - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
Hehehehe, I don't blame you.
Those silly animated GIFs drive me nuts, too  ;-)

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

S.A.R.A.
on 3/2/09 11:25 am - Tacoma, WA

I didn't make it the full 10% but I was very strict on the 10 day liquid diet pre-surgery. The 10% is to help you be motivated pre-surgery... the liquid diet is to help shrink your liver which lays on top of the stomach. The more you lose pre-surgery the easier your recovery. I am now 5 days Post OP Lap RYN and I can honestly say the 10 days were worth it. It also helps to prepare you for post surgery because the only thing that has passed my lips since 2/14 has been water, broth, and protein and since 2/25 water, broth, sugar free jello and popsicles. I have been up walking, sipping and resting and I plan to take care of this new tool Dr. S. has given to me.

Good luck and hang in there... I know its hard but it will be so worth it.

~~S.A.R.A
~M

~M

You must do the thing which you think you cannot do.
~~Eleanor Roosevelt

Kathy H.
on 3/2/09 12:46 pm - Kent, WA
ahhh, Kel. It's the last diet you'll ever have to be on! Shrikanth is notoriously strict. Take a deep breath and push through the next month with your eyes on the prize~

Kathy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

Sheryl R.
on 3/2/09 11:56 pm - Buckley, WA
Did Dr. Srikanth tell you to do a liquid diet for the whole month? I haven't heard that he does that.  Have you gone through the nutrition class yet?

Sheryl

Only "obese" now!

Most Active