Madigan DS'ers?

Turtle13
on 3/1/09 1:58 pm - WA
Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you have had or plan to have a DS with Madigan? I am trying to find out which surgeons at Madigan performs this. I don't know how to look up the surgeon's stats or who performs what. I attended the WLS class in Feb and they said they do the doctor giving the class said Madigan offers the DS. I visited the DS board but didn't have any luck. I would lke to know your experience with Madigan and the DS. I don't even know how long they have been offering the DS. Thanks for any help!
Turtle   
SW/CW~252/145
Annie B.
on 3/2/09 2:32 am - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
I don't think any of the surgeons at Madigan do DS...at least none of them did it a year ago.  If you call the surgery clinic, you can ask them which ones do it.

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

Turtle13
on 3/2/09 9:22 am - WA
Hi Annie, thanks for the reply. I am thinking that Madigan is just starting out in doing the DS and that makes me a bit nervous. At the WLS class they said it was offered, but I want to do some research before I go ahead and use Madigan. I just don't want to be a practice type patient. KWIM?
Turtle   
SW/CW~252/145
Annie B.
on 3/2/09 9:48 pm, edited 3/2/09 9:49 pm - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
If they are just starting to do it, I would check to see if they got a new surgeon who has performed it before, or did a surgeon just get training to do it.  You can call the surgery clinic and ask about it...they may be able to give you some info there...if not, go to the first class they have and ask about it there.

I totally understand about not wanting to be one of the first patients! When I had my surgery a year ago, they were about to start doing the Lap-Band...I wasn't really thinking about the band anyway, but I knew I wouldn't do it there for sure if they were just learning it...I would want my surgeon established in that surgery well before he operated on ME! LOL.

For the RNY, there are many surgeons there that perform the surgery, and they are very competent. I have no hesitations recommending having RNY surgery there.  I know DS surgeons are difficult to find, as very few surgeons actually perform it.  Good luck with your journey...and let me know how it all goes!

Edited to add: You should go to the support group at Madigan...it's every Thursday at 5:30 in the Cosio room...did I get my details right...it's been a long time since I've been there (we moved in October).  There's a GREAT bunch of people there.  They have a lot of knowledge and insight there! I highly recommend them!! And they can tell you a lot about the various surgeons and such - as I'm sure there's someone there that's had each one!

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/11/09 9:44 am
I thought the only surgeons performing DS in WA were Srikanth (sp?) and Oh in Seattle, but didn't know Madigan now offers it. It may be that they have a surgeon that has been doing it elsewhere, but you can get the info on the surgeons record, and that would be a good idea. I sure don't blame you for not wanting to feel like a guinea pig.
Most Active