Lap Band requirements

Anya_6
on 2/27/09 10:24 am

Hello everyone,

I am new to this website, just signed up today in fact.

I'm about 5'5 and currently weigh 207 lbs and have a bmi of 40.

Do you think I would qualify for the lap Band surgery?
I know no one is actually medically qualified to tell me, and I do have an appointment to see a surgeon next week. But I'm driving myself crazy looking at all the different websites on the subject.. Some say I would qualify ,...others say I don't.

I guess I'm just looking for some general information from people who have gone through the experience.

Thanks,
Anya

Helen_Anne
on 2/27/09 1:09 pm - Bremerton, WA
Usually the requirements are BMI of 35 with 2 co-morbid conditions..  diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea... OR have a BMI  40 or over... sometimes insurance requires a 5 year history of having a BMI over 40.  But I am not sure that is required for everyone. 

I hope this helps!

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

Hislady
on 2/27/09 1:54 pm - Vancouver, WA
Yep as a rule it's what Helen said. The best thing you can do is contact your insurance company to a.) make sure they allow weight loss surgery, some have exclusions and b). ask them to send you a written list of their requirements. If you are interested in learning more about the band hop on over to the lapband forum we are always more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Good luck.
Annie B.
on 2/27/09 8:38 pm - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with

Anya,

Welcome to OH!  Helen has it right there with the info, so I just wanted to say hello and welcome!

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

Most Active