Feeling Grouchy and Stressed

Sheryl R.
on 2/25/09 4:32 am - Buckley, WA
I just need to complain for a minute so that hopefully I'll feel better.
I'm having an endoscopy tomorrow so I can't take my naproxin for my arthritis and my torn miniscus and the Tylenol just doesn't cut it.  So the pain is making me very grouchy about other stuff like...I have to work for a couple hours in the morning, but I'm not supposed to put makeup on because of "flammability issues with the anesthesia"....  And, I called my insurance company to make sure they received the fax from Dr. Srikanth's office on Tuesday, but they received it on Friday. (I know, only three days difference, but don't tell me you're faxing on Tuesday when you aren't!)....And I'm sick of trying to diet on my own, that's why I want a lapband, duh!  I've been dieting for over 6 months now and am starting to go crazy.  I want a hamburger! (with the bun!). 
After reading what I just wrote, I can see how ridiculous I sound, but I do feel a little better. 
Sheryl
PS  Did I mention that my knee is killing me?

Only "obese" now!

Helen_Anne
on 2/25/09 4:47 am - Bremerton, WA

I am sorry that you are in pain... that has got to be very fustrating!!  Just curious... can you take naproxin after surgery?  I know I can't but ... I don't know what other WLS patients can take...

Hopefully you can take your meds right after you procedure...

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

(deactivated member)
on 2/25/09 7:25 am
Hi Sheryl,

It's ok to get grouchy.  I think we have all had our bad days.  Good luck with your endoscopy tomorrow.  You will breeze through it.  I remember being a little nervous about mine and then after they gave me the anethesia it was like I was in La La land. Then before I knew it, it was over.

I hear ya on the hamburger thing too, sometimes I still want a burger but I am not brave enough to try the bun.  I proabably will never eat bread again as it's one of Dr. S no no's and I have heard too many stories about it getting stuck for people so I am not going there.  But I still want it sometimes.

Just hang in there, before you no it you will have your band.

Take care,
Hislady
on 2/25/09 7:29 am - Vancouver, WA
Sometimes it helps just to get it out! We've all been there a time or two. You may have to find something besides the naproxin after surgery but Dr. S is top notch so I'm sure he'll do what's best for you. May as well get used to no bun too, ain't gonna happen. I really don't miss it much any more, once in awhile I crave a nice chunk of crusty whole grain bread. Good luck and we're saving a seat for you!
Amy R.
on 2/25/09 8:26 am
Hi Sheryl,

I hope you're feeling better by now - I can totally relate to your frustration with the pain and all of the dieting stuff.  My PCP laughed when I told him Dr. S. wanted me to lose 30 lbs before the surgery - he said if I could do that, I wouldn't need the surgery!  It made me feel a little better that even another doc could see the ridiculousness(is that a word?) of the whole situation.

Don't know about the LapBand, but I still can't take Naproxin or any NSAIDS since my RNY, which leaves me with either Tylenol, which doesn't help, or narcotics, which I try to avoid since they are not good on a long term basis for WLS patients either according to Dr Srikanth.  Hopefully with the LapBand you'll be able to get back to your regular meds.

And it IS frustrating when the doc's office says they'll do something or have done it and then you find out 3 days later they haven't!  Why don't they just say so?  IDK.  Anyway, sending good thoughts your way,

the other amy
Sheryl R.
on 2/25/09 8:56 am - Buckley, WA
Thank you guys for putting up with my whining and taking the time to encourage me.  I really do feel better.
Thanks again,
Sheryl

Only "obese" now!

PinkFlamingoes
on 2/25/09 12:26 pm - Buckley, WA
It's hard enough dieting , which makes us grouchy . But , a torn meniscus is horrible . Ironically , I had a torn meniscus when I was preparing for my RNY . I had to decide which surgery I was having first . I chose the RNY first , because DR.Oh said I had to wait 3 months between surgeries . There was no way I was waiting an additional 3 months for my WLS . I had to have my other knee operated on 2 years before . And there shouldn't have been a delay in the fax . That's not how they work . I don't blame you for being grouchy .

Sheryl R.
on 2/26/09 1:02 am - Buckley, WA
Thanks, Kathy.  So did you end up getting surgery on your knee later?  Did they "scope" it?  I was also debating which to do first but my ortho doc wants me to lose more weight first and I have to agree.  Of course I am doing almost no excerise now because of it, which makes weight loss more difficult, plus I miss the stress reducing effect of exercise.  I'm trying to figure out how to deal with stress if I'm not using food and not exercising.  I'm trying to pray, talk with my husband or friends (online too), and deep breathe and stretch.  It helps, but my knee jerk reaction to stress is to look for something to eat.  I've got a lot of relearning to do.
Sheryl
PS.  How 's your mom?

Only "obese" now!

PinkFlamingoes
on 2/27/09 10:09 am - Buckley, WA
I had my RNY in late Sept of 2006 , and I had my knee repaired in Jan of 2007 . It was done orthoscopically . My left knee healed way faster than my right knee . My right knee was done in 2004 . So , the weight loss did help . You certainly have my sympathy with the dieting . I was self pay (unfortunatly) , so I didn't have those hoops to jump through . I did have to lose weight per Dr. Oh's rules , though . I did a kind of modified South Beach . & then the 10 day liquid diet . I hope you relearn better than I have . I still tend to reach for food when stressed . It's usually healthier , now .
My Mom is doing quite a bit better , thanks for asking . I am so glad . She's home , which she is happy about . She's still got a long way to go & needs a lot of help . I'm going there to do a bunch of stuff for her . My son lives with her & has done great , but she wants me ti fix up her room . lol . My son doesn't have the girly touch .

Most Active