OT - My Mom is really ill .

PinkFlamingoes
on 2/23/09 1:44 pm - Buckley, WA
Thank you , so much . I'm very sorry for the loss of your Mom .

Kathy P.
on 2/22/09 3:29 pm - Port Orchard, WA
Hi Kathy,
  This is my second attempt at a repy to you. To subject matter is hard, having recently lost my dad. My F-I-L is suffering with COPD as well. He had a tumor in his lung removed about 8 years ago as well.  He also has recurrent pneumonia.
  It is very scary...and very hard to watch our parents be ill.  And you are right, we can never truly be ready.  
  Like you, I've been the "family handler". It gets exhausting. Please make sure that you spend some quiet time to take care of yourself as well. 
 You and your family are in my thoughts, and prayers.

Take care-
Kathy
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
PinkFlamingoes
on 2/23/09 1:51 pm - Buckley, WA
Kathy , i'm sorry you've lost your Father . I lost mine almost 11 years ago at 62 . It seems like yesterday , though . I still miss him terribly .
It is exhausting being the "handler" . I don't know about you , but at times I feel a little resentful . Not toward my Mom , who has always been very independent . But , toward my older sister . I don't know how we fall into these roles . Thanks for your prayers & kind thoughts . Kathy

kakkling
on 2/23/09 12:26 am - Tac, WA

Kathy,
I am so sorry to hear that your mother is sick. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
Take care.
Kelly

PinkFlamingoes
on 2/23/09 1:52 pm - Buckley, WA
Thank you , Kelly . I appreciate it .

pam H.
on 2/23/09 6:23 am - Renton, WA
 Kathy, you and your mom are in my thoughts and prayers. My mom also suffered from emphysema and CHF, also. It's awful to see your loved ones struggle to breathe. I hope they can find the right mix of meds for her soon.-Pam

PinkFlamingoes
on 2/23/09 2:00 pm - Buckley, WA
Thank you , Pam . My Mom wants to be home , so bad . But , I don't want her to come home until they have a good plan in place & she is stablized .

Sheryl R.
on 2/23/09 6:45 am - Buckley, WA
I'm so sorry to hear about your mom.  I know what it's like to be trying to take care of everyone.  I also have to help out my mom, who is chronically ill and also help take care of my granddaughter and still have a high schooler at home.  It can be draining.  Make sure to take care of yourself too.
I'll be praying for your mom and for you.
Sheryl

Only "obese" now!

PinkFlamingoes
on 2/23/09 2:04 pm - Buckley, WA
Thank you , Sheryl . You're right , it is draining . Today , at work , I felt like i'd been up all night . I hadn't , but felt so tired . It's amazing what stress can do to us .

morgansmommy
on 2/23/09 10:26 am - Gig Harbor, WA
Kathy,
MultiCare has an excellent CHF program called the CHF clinic. Ask for a referral to it. If she qualifies she will be seen in the clinic 1-3 days a week, have access to registered dietician, social worker and a cardiologist. They use infusions of medications for the heart and will monitor her weight, and labs closely. Your mom also may qualify for home health. MultiCare also has a great program for CHF patients; they are sent home with a machine that they use every morning to monitor their weight, blood ppressure heart rate and oxygen level. The monitors reading ares sent automatically to Home Health office where the information is assessed by a registered nurse and if there are any readings out of limit for your mom a registered nurse will be calling her to see if she is all right or needs a medication altered and or contact her provider for advice. Good Sam is affiliated with Multicare so the services i talked about should be available to her. I lost my mom almost 14 years ago and my dad two years later, I agree it does feel like yesterday. Good luck to your mom; keep us posted.
Mary

Most Active