Questions I Forgot to Ask

Kathy P.
on 2/19/09 7:32 am, edited 2/19/09 7:35 am - Port Orchard, WA
I'm kicking myself! I had my first post-op appt. with my doc today. My dh went, and I got distracted. I forgot to ask about lettuce and baked beans! Not together, but if I will be able to have them. I am on my first week of puree, then I go to a week of soft food/thick puree, then to regular foods. Also, curious about the sugar content in baked beans and dumping.  They are a great source of protein, and I love them. I also love lettuce, raw spinach, etc., thus the question about how people are doing with lettuce and the like, post op.
  *sigh*  Thanks for any input!

Kathy
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
Cheryl N.
on 2/19/09 9:18 am - Des Moines, WA

Hi K!  How did your post op appt go?  

I don't think u can have lettuce on this phase, have you spoke with your NUT?   

Not sure about baked beans, altho they are a bit high in sugar content... and I wouldn't want to risk dumping .... how about beans in chili sauce or pinto beans?  They are pretty good.

I did not have vegetables on pureed stage, but now i'm on soft food stage and I can eat veggies now... but due to my moving this weekend I haven't had chance to do real grocery shopping yet but I have been eating mainly frozen chopped spinach. 

WHen is your next appt with NUT?

How are you feeling now?

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Helen_Anne
on 2/19/09 11:05 am - Bremerton, WA
Unless you found sugar free baked beans... I would not try them... I started lettuce about week 5 or 6.. and ate spinach about 7 or 8 weeks.  I may have been able to try lettuce sooner... and when I did eat it ... I did not have any trouble...

My first salad was SO good... I forgot how much I missed salads....  I was almost 5 month out before  I tryed to eat raw carrots or broccoli and other raw veggies.  At 3 months I could eat most cooked veggies...

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

Kathy P.
on 2/19/09 4:17 pm - Port Orchard, WA

Thanks for the information. I am so missing salads, which is hard for even me to believe as I am/was a candy-holic. I'm going to look for the sugar free beans, and also for a recipe where I can use the sweet and low version of brown sugar.

Thanks again Helen and Pix!

Kathy

Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
PinkFlamingoes
on 2/22/09 9:46 am - Buckley, WA
I googled "sugar free baked beans" & got a lot of recipes . Here's one .

Doug's Quick Baked Beans (Sugar-free)

2 15.8 oz. cans Bush's Great Northerns
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 T. pork fat or sub 2 slices bacon chopped
2 T. Heinz One Carb No Sugar Added Ketchup
2 T. Log Cabin Sugar Free Maple Syrup with Splenda
1 T. Yellow Mustard
1 T. Worcestershire Sauce
1 t. Your favorite dry rub

Drain one can only Great Northerns. Render pork fat (or bacon) in bottom of medium saucepan until liquified. Add onion and coo****il clear. Add drained and undrained beans, and remaining ingredients, mixing thoroughly. Simmer uncovered low 15-20 minutes.

You can actually oven finish these if you wish, since all sweetening is from Splenda, or serve directly from stovetop. If pork fat is trimmed from pork butt roast, add 1/3 cup chopped "bark" for extra flavor.

Most Active