Tricare patient seeking approval away from Madigan

bb2008
on 2/14/09 1:00 pm
Is it possible for Tricare to approve weight loss surgury away from Madigan? I have been on the waiting list for the pathway for over 6 months now and nothing. My PCM game me a referal for Dr. Oh at the Saint Francis hospital in Federal Way. Does anyone know or think it is possible for tricare to approve the surgery away from Madigan? Thanks in advance for any insite.
jillianD
on 2/14/09 2:58 pm - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
I think it will be quite difficult to get the surgery outside of Madigan.  I know it does happen but last I heard Dr. Oh only does one Madigan patient a month.  It never hurts to call his office and ask though.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Momof2ArmyBrats
on 2/15/09 1:48 am
I tired to go that route and was told by Dr. Oh's office that they only do one Tricare patient a month so there is a long wait. Have you tried calling Meg? She is the bariatric case manager for Madigan. I know of a few people who just went to the seminar a couple of weeks ago and have already started their pathway.
Anna

bb2008
on 2/15/09 12:30 pm
I was told Med gets mad when people call her so I have not. Do you have her number or know how I could find it? I guess calling her is worth a shot just to fing out where I am on the list.
micheleshelly
on 2/16/09 2:36 am - Yelm, WA
bb2008
Here is a number I called at Madigan. I was told it was for pathways advocacy (or maybe patient advocacy, as I had abbreviated): (253) 968-1145. I am not sure if this is a # for Meg or not. At the time I called I was not familiar with Meg's name, so it would not have meant much to me at the time. Howevery the number I have for Meg is different.
Michele
Helen_Anne
on 2/15/09 11:52 pm - Bremerton, WA

Virginia Mason will take TriCare Prime... but ONLY with a referral from your TriCare Prime Primary Care Manager or other Primary Care referring Provider  AND approved by Tricare Prime prior to the patient scheduleing speciality care.  Bariatric Surgery is speciality care. 

The VM providers would be  Dr Lily Chang, Dr Ravi Moonka, Dr Jeffrey Hunter and Dr Richard Thirlby.

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

micheleshelly
on 2/16/09 2:37 am - Yelm, WA
bb2008
When did you attend the WLS class at Madigan?
Michele
LisaAnn
on 2/16/09 12:31 pm - WA
Yes, it is possible. In fact, I was trying to get my referral to Madigan, but was denied, and only allowed to go to Dr. OH. The reason for the denial was that I am not in the Madigan region...to far away.

I was bummed out big time, as I wanted to go to Madigan. I just thought it would be easier for approval at a military facility...

It may depend on where you live and all, I am not sure!

Good Luck!

Lisa

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

Momof2ArmyBrats
on 2/17/09 12:55 am
Here is a number for Meg 253-968-3640 if she doesn't answer leave a message and call back if she doesn't.
Anna

Turtle13
on 2/17/09 12:37 pm - WA
Hi ya'll,

I used that same number fo Meg only for her to tell me I needed to contact a Patient Representative at 968-0121. I'm still waiting for them to return my call. I've also left a message for the Patient Advocacy at 968-1145 to ask what "number" I am. I have not had any return calls yet, but you might be luckier since you've been on the wait list for longer. Good luck!
Turtle   
SW/CW~252/145
Most Active