surgery finally scheduled and I'm scared

judi409
on 2/14/09 8:51 am - Spokane, WA
I have waited a year for a surgery date and now that it is here (March 3) I'm beginning to get very nervous.  Any adive or encouragement would be appreciated.  I'm especially interested in knowing other people's experiences with cravings for sweets after surgery.  I'm pretty much an addict going into surgery. 
Judi 409
Helen_Anne
on 2/14/09 9:42 am - Bremerton, WA
I can tell you most of us have had the very same thoughts ... but for me.... now that I am 6 months out from surgery and over 100 pounds lost since last year at this time.  Having WLS was the BEST decision I made!!!

Do you need to do a pre-op diet? While I was not happy at the time... it did get me ready for the first few weeks after surgery.

We are saving you a nice warm seat on the Losers Bench!

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

jillianD
on 2/14/09 3:03 pm - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
I don't crave sweets at all unless you call my addiction to apples sweets.  I love fruit now.  I used to love chocolate, I still like it but it 's not a big deal to me anymore.  Actually for awhile I couldn't stand the thought of even touching anything chocolate.

Good luck with your surgery, we are all here for your questions!!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

KARA_TOP
on 2/15/09 4:11 am - richland, WA
I would say being nervous is very normal, I sure was but I sucked it up and kept my life as normal as I could (to keep myself busy and not thinking about it)......Once I was at the hospital my family kept me entertained until I was wheeled away then I was asleep before I knew it.  Woke up and it was done.  Personally, I have had no cravings or even the feeling of hunger.  You should be able to have sugar free chocolate pudding after surgery, thats about all I lived on for the first two weeks.  Okay maybe not all, but it was a daily "meal".  I am totally babbling at this point so I will shut-up now.

~Kara
Amy R.
on 2/15/09 4:49 am
Hi Judi,

It's really normal to be nervous - this is a huge step in your life and a big committment; also surgery is no fun.  However, MO is even less fun so if you can just try to keep things in perspective that might help.   You're gonna get your life back!!!

My surgery was on a Tuesday a.m. and I had a really rough weekend, panic attacks, etc.  Ended up taking a bunch of Valium and basically sleeping that Saturday and Sunday.  Not the best solution I know, but I figured that's what they gave me the pills for so I was gonna use them.  Your doc might be willing to prescribe a couple for you if you are having serious anxiety before the surgery.

When I actually went in on that Tuesday I was remarkably calm and at peace with myself (and not taking any more tranquilizers lol).  If you are struggling with nerves when you get to the hospital, many times they will give you a little something to calm you down while you are waiting for your procedure.  They try to make/keep you as calm and comfortable as possible.

Best of luck to you - I'll know you'll do great and you'll be amazed at how fast this waiting period goes; before you know it you'll be post-op!

amy

PS.  I wasn't much of a sweet eater before surgery, but have had an occasional urge since surgery for specific things.  I just recently made it to the "normal"  food stage where I can pretty much eat what I want as long as I follow the rules (ie, protein first, no white carbs, etc).  Since being allowed back on regular food, I have had 1 caramel and a bite of a cookie (not at the same time!).  Strangely, those little amounts were tremendously satisfying and I'm not craving anything right now.
Most Active