Hair Loss!! Oh NO!!

Emerald47
on 2/14/09 6:04 am - Renton, WA
I am 3-1/2 months post-op and this morning I noticed A LOT of excessive hair loss for the first time. I have heard mentione of this before, but no one ever really explained why, if it stops, or if there is something I can do about slowing down/stopping it!! Has anyone had this problem, and if so, what did you do? Did it slow down and grow back?

I know surgery (and medications used to knock you out) can cause some temperary hair loss, but I'm wondering if it is something more regarding vitamins, protein, and weight loss - not just the short-term loss from undergoing a surgical procedure but something more *gulp* permenant! I hate to sound vain, but I love my hair just as it is, thank you very much!!!

Thanks for any help and suggestions!!
Helen_Anne
on 2/14/09 7:25 am - Bremerton, WA
Sorry... I don't have any advice on how to get the hair loss to stop... the multi vit that I take has biotin.. which helps with hair regrowth...

I have been told that upping your protein may help...

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

jillianD
on 2/14/09 8:09 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
I don't think there is really anything to stop it.  But be encouraged it grows back!!  I think I lost about 1/3 of my hair.  But my stylist thinks it is thicker than ever!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Hislady
on 2/14/09 1:44 pm - Vancouver, WA
You should be fine, it is right on schedule for hair loss. It's usually 3-5 mos. after the trauma of surgery to your body. It has a medical name but I don't remember it right off hand. So you should be fine, as long as your labs are good it's probably just the surgery itself and it should all come back with in a few weeks or so. At least according to everything I've read.
Emerald47
on 2/14/09 2:40 pm - Renton, WA
Thanks much for the information - I guess I am a bit early to worry too much!! I will check on that biotin thing... that sounds interesting.
My labs are good so far, so I'll just hang-on and see. I still welcome any other thoughts!!
This forum is the best!
sunnyinseattle1
on 2/15/09 6:17 am
I have the same problem. I started taking Biotin pills from GNC and using a all-natural shampoo/contioner from GNC with Biotin in it. So far it is helping a small bit. Good luck. :)

Sunny

SW   CW  GW                                
378   256 175-200
*Hope to become a Parent after loss, either by natural or adoption.*

meluvsdembooks
on 2/23/09 4:16 am - Everett, WA
I had the same problem. I was never told that you could loose your hair. I thought I would go crazy when it first started happening. I have always had thick hair. Then all of a sudden it was thin. But I can say I started taking biotin and a multivit and my hair has grown back, thicker then ever. I stopped putting chemicals in my hair during the time it was falling out. I only did the shampoo and conditioner. I am a woman of color and we put chemicals in our hair. I noticed that when I stopped putting the chemicals in my hair my hair stopped falling out so fast. Now I have decided to go all nautral. I am getting my hair braided and letting it grow long. I cant wait to see what I look like with natural hair in one year. I will have to post a  picture.

I can tell you, the hair will grow back. Just give it time.
Most Active