HELP moving to Lynnwood/Seatlle WA from Florida

Rita T.
on 2/10/09 7:00 am - Clearwater, FL
Hi All,

My husband and i are going to be moving to WA sometime in May for his work. I was hoping  you all could help me  a little as far as what to expect.

How is the housing there? What are apartments like? Any particular Apaprtments I should stay away from? What is the crime like in the area? How much is it to rent? What is the commute like?

Geoff (The hubby) will be working in Lynnwood would living in seatlle be too much of a drive in the morning? How long does it take to get from one to the other?

Anyone else here moved across country? Any good suggestions as far as moving is concerned?

Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated. As it stands right now we have not figured out where we are going to live or where I am going to be working.
val_aiken
on 2/10/09 8:51 am - Port Angeles, WA
Hey Rita, I responded to your other post.  I just moved from South Carolina to Port Angeles, WA.  The move cross country was fairly easy, my husband's job paid for it all. You will have some adjustment to the weather.  I expeienced my first white Christmas.  No more hurricanes or tornados but we did have an earthquake last week.  I am 2 1/2 hr west of Seattle.  I just go over for the day.
Val
-Da Dream-
on 2/10/09 8:56 am - Golden State, CA

Rita-
I have never been to seattle, but I know a lot of people, (I'm bus driver), and every single one of them has told me that it always rains there, so I know for sure its gonna be different for you, at first it might even be hard, but after a while we get used to things, my  brother lived in tampa for 5 years and came back to cali. (west coast)!!!!!!!!! hahahahaahha
at least you wont have to worry about the stupid hurricanes every year though!!!

good luck!!

lemme know how it goes!!

luv

josh

Shelley S.
on 2/10/09 9:37 am - Ft Lewis, WA
I love Washington personally.  I have lived pretty much all over the world between army dad and army husband and it's my second favorite with Alaska being my first choice.

We moved cross country from Kansas to here a year ago in August but the military moved most of our stuff.  We did have our own moving truck to bring some things to have on hand before our stuff got here and all in all it wasn't that bad of a drive.  It can get boring in places, but it was all new and different so it was fine.

It does rain a lot, but not quite every day.  The summers are pretty nice because they are pretty mild where you wont normally need air conditioning.  I live further south down the I5, between Tacoma and Olympia, so I have no idea about the area and it's housing particulars.

I wish you well on your journey here.  There are quite a few people close to your area though if I remember right and of course this board stays pretty active as well.  Hope you love it here as much as I do

Helen_Anne
on 2/10/09 10:17 am - Bremerton, WA
Welcome to Washington....

I lived in Lynnwood area for years... now I live in Bremerton.  But I love that area... I am not sure I could tell you areas to avoid.. but Edmonds is close to Lynnwood and it is a nicer area.  Also, Mountlake Terrace is close and it has nice areas  I have friends who still live in Lynnwood.. I can ask them.  Depends on the traffic.. and since you  would be going against the traffic... the commute from Seattle to Lynnwood would be about 30ish minutes.

Seattle housing is more expensive than the Lynnwood area. I lived in Lynnwood and worked in Seattle... and its easy to commute to Seattle from the Lynnwood area.

The weather may be the hardest thing for you to get use to....

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

kymoon
on 2/10/09 10:54 am - graham, WA
hey i live 60 miles south of seattle ...so can't tell u much about that...but growing up in ky....and living in clearwater florida...4 months out of the year...its a little different here...it nice and green all yr around...no sand...lol....or palm trees....white sand...or blue water....the sand is grey...lots of sea weed and logs on beach....mosts days are cloudy...u can go for weeks and not see the sun.....lots of pine trees...coffee shops on every corner....u can run around bare footed and not worrie about burning ur feet on the concret...lol no sand burls......or **** roaches.....you don't have the humidity..here at least not like florida.....much cooler in the summer....colder in winter...and then there is the rain...u know how its thunder and u get lighting and it pours....not here..very seldom do we get thunder and lighting.....but we do get the rain and that why it so green .....lived here for 9 yrs and wouldn;t go back to ky nor florida..for nothing...maybe for vacation...lol...u will love it here...i can go 50 miles east and be at mt rainer and go sking...or 70 miles to the west and be at the ocean.....so much to do here...hiking in the mt....skiing..deep sea fishing...if u love the out doors..ur love it here....
jillianD
on 2/10/09 1:39 pm - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Lynnwood is great, my mom lives up there.  If you want to Lynnwood will be cheaper than Seattle and there is a lot of great housing.  The Job market is a little soft right not but there are jobs. 

Edmonds is absolutely wonderful, but it is more expensive especially if you live closer to the water.  My Aunt rents a nice 2 bedroom condo for about 1500.00 a month.  I think houses in Lynnwood run 200,000 and up for a decent neighborhood. Apts there start out at 1000 for a 2 bedroom.

Good luck!!

Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

brneyes
on 2/13/09 4:04 am - Lynnwood, WA

Hi,
I live in Lynnwood.  Commuting to Seattle is no problem as there are several ways to commute via bus and train if you don't want to drive.  I've lived in Seattle also, and because I work in Lynnwood I moved here; and I have no regrets.

There are many apartment complexes, and as with all areas, some are good and some are bad.  The rent is cheaper in Lynnwood and the further north you go the cheaper the rent.

Right now, the economy is as it is every place else so jobs might be hard to find.  There are several large employers in the area like Boeing but I believe they are laying off right now.

Good luck.  I know everyone talks about the rain, but when it is nice here it is one of the most beautiful places there is.

Most Active