Does Madigan do Revisions??

LisaAnn
on 2/4/09 8:38 am - WA

Hi all!

I had the VBG in April of 2006. I weighed 254 and currently weigh 215. I must say that it is a failure.

I want to have a revision to DS, but if DS is not an option, I would like the RNY. Does Madigan do revisions from VBG to one of those surgeries??

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

jillianD
on 2/4/09 9:15 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with

First off Madigan doesn't do the DS.  I am not sure what a VBG is?  (I will have to look that up) I know they have done revisions but you generally have to do some testing first. 

Good Luck!

Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

daylont
on 2/4/09 1:40 pm
I was at Madigan today and talked to them and Jillian is right, They do not do the DS. I initially had the Vertical Band Gastroplasty back in 1991 and then Doctor Carter at Madigan did the RNY. That is Madigans standard Bariatric surgery. So that will probably be your best bet. Good Luck.
LisaAnn
on 2/4/09 3:18 pm - WA

Thank you both very much. I am fine with the RNY too. I am just not sure if I should go to Madigan or a civillian dr. ? I am not even sure where to begin with Tricare and all with a revision. I guess I just begin from scratch and go to my PCP and get a referral, right???

Thanks so much,

Lisa

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Revision from 2006 - VBG

daylont
on 2/5/09 12:16 am

All I did was go to my PCP and asked for a referral to Gen. Surgery at Madigan to talk to the surgeons about my surgery and possible revision. I  had allready researched what the criterea was for referral, so they pretty much couldn't argue with me. ( which they try to send you to dietician instead).

Criterea for Madigan referral to bariatric surgery is BMI of 40 or greater with NO co-morbidities OR 35 or greater WITH  co-morbidities ( diebetes, hypertension, cholesteral ect..). 

LisaAnn
on 2/5/09 4:58 am - WA
Thank you so much!!! My BMI is 35.8 and I have diabetes and high cholesterol, severe reflux.

My original surgeon has retired, so I am in contact with him via email, so I am waiting to see if he can still write my referral. If not, I will contact my PCP.

Can you tell me what to expect with regarts to the process?

Thank you soooo much!!!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Revision from 2006 - VBG

daylont
on 2/5/09 5:30 am
Once Madigan Surgery clinic had my referral, They called me and set up an appointment.  My appiontment was on Wed the 4th. I talked to them about my surgery I allready had, my medical history  and then they discussed what my options were a that point but that they needed to get a look at  my anatomy before going over MY  complete options and if surgery was going to work for me. They put in a request for upper GI and lab work to look at my nutrition levels. I just got a call and that is all scheduled for Friday the 6th. SO ... After I am done with that, I was told to make another appointment with surgery for three days out and we can discuss where I can go from there.
LisaAnn
on 2/5/09 6:28 am - WA
Thank you. What type of surgery did you previously have and when (if you dont mind me asking).

I am really excited to get the ball rolling.

I worry though, because Madigan is a few hours from my house, and I have 4 kids, but that is fine, I will just figure a way to do it all!

Thank you very much for all your help.

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Revision from 2006 - VBG

daylont
on 2/5/09 7:42 am
In 1991 I had the VBG and weighed 255.My surgery was done by the military at 97th General in Frankfurt Germany. I was my doctors first patient to perform this surery on. I lost down to 145 but had complications of chronic vomiting and what they call beazors (blockages in my outlet ). I did gain back 25 pounds  In 1997  at 170lbsI had the RNY at Madigan with Doctor Preston Carter . After the RNY I never lost another pound ( not typical) I have since gone up to 219 pounds.  I want a revision to corect the reason I have gained and not lost. That is why they need to do the upper GI to determine where I can go from here. They did tell me it can be done  and more than likely into a Biliopancreatic Diversion BPD.
Most Active