Dr. Srikanth is very strict

Sheryl R.
on 1/30/09 4:37 pm - Buckley, WA
His pre and post op diets are very strict.   I thought that those with lap bands ate a more normal (albeit small) diet.  I was told that eating food will be more for the "fun" of it as most of my nutrition will come from the shakes.  His patient care coordinator said that I will be able to eat such small amounts that the protein shakes are a must to keep all my systems functioning well.  So do most of the doctors prescribe this same type of diet?  I really like him and feel very comfortable with him.  I will do whatever I need to do, I was just a little suprised.

Sheryl

Only "obese" now!

maxs_mom
on 1/30/09 8:36 pm, edited 1/30/09 8:37 pm - Auburn, WA
Dr. Srikantk (and Dr. OH) is indeed very strict!  It's one of the reasons that his sucess rate is so high!

If you spend much time in this or any other forum, you will see that virtually all surgeons have their own dietary guidelines both pre and post-op.  With Dr. Srikanth, regardless of procedure, you'll be on clear liquids plus 3 30 g protein shakes daily for ten days pre-op.  Here's a breakdown of his post-op plan:

Week 1: Sugar Free Clear Liquids

Week 2: Sugar Free Clear Liquids plus 3 30 gram protein shakes

Weeks 3-4: Sugar Free Clear Liquids plus 3 30 gram protein shakes - but now you start adding sugar free syrups, ice cubes, baking extract flavorings, etc into the shakes

Weeks 5-6: Continue with Sugar Free Clear Liquids, Protein Shakes (to which you can now try adding yogurt, fruits, etc).  You may also start "Full Liquids" now

Weeks 7-8: Continue with above but start adding soft foods

Week 9 and Beyond: Reintroduce solids - Lap-Band & VSG patients cut down to 60 grams protein daily

So, if you do the math, that's over 50 days on nothing but liquids!  In this forum and in the Lap-Band forum I'm sure you'll run across people who did a few days of clear liquids, maybe a week of full liquids, and then moved to solids.  The advantage of a restrictive procedure is that you *do* have more food choices because your intestitinal tract was not modified and excessive sugars, fats, carbs won't necessarily cause dumping and malabsorbtion isn't an issue so you take less vitamin/mineral supplements post-op.  However, every successful WLS post-op that I've run across, regardless of procedure, all eventually follow a modified Atkins diet (high protein, very low sugar, carbs and fat) for life!

I had VSG on 11/19/2008 and it was just a little over a week ago that I got to reintroduce regular solid foods.  I can't comment on Lap-Band, but with VSG, which is also a restrictive procedure, I cannot eat enough daily (I could try and barf all the time which would defeat the purpose) to meet my nutritional needs without protein shakes and vitamin/mineral supplements.  I can eat about 3 ounces and I am stuffed (see my profile for portion size pictures).  My procedure is permanent - upwards of 85% of my stomach was removed, and while it may stretch some (the portion that remains is the least resistent to stretching), I will never have a stomach that can hold more than 6 ounces max.  It is my understanding that the Band requires continual adjustment so there may be times when more food can get into your stomach...and that's when you'd want a fill!

I cannot state this enough - Srikanth is strict!  He expects compliance!  His stats speak for themselves on the efficacy of his guidelines.  I think about it like this:  Dr. Srikanth could care less if I ever wear a size 8; he's concerned about my health, both now and for life.  And, while it would be nice to wear a size 8, I don't really care about sizes or numbers, for me, WLS was not a cosmetic procedure; it was a decision I made in order to give my self a chance at a longer, healthier and happier life.  His guidelines light my path. 

I wish you much success on your journey!

Amy

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/09 1:19 am
Sheryl,

I agree with everything Amy said.  Dr. S is very strict but he is a great surgeon who has above national average sucess rates and he is very concerned about your overall health and not just the amount of weight you loose.  I have pretty much followed Dr. S program to the letter and have lost 53 lbs since Dec 1st and I feel great! ( I had proximal gastric bypass). 
You are in great hands!
Hislady
on 1/31/09 2:34 pm - Vancouver, WA
I've read where he is very strict and you really have to follow his program. My surgeon is completely different he wants us eating very small meals of normal food and absolutely NO shakes after we get on solid food because that is how the band works by solid food giving the "full" signal. Our group has some very successful people too. So it's very confusing as each surgeon is different. Whatever you do I wish you much success!
PinkFlamingoes
on 2/1/09 12:56 pm - Buckley, WA
Sheryl , I didn't realize you lived in Buckley . I live in Buckley , too . As someone said , Dr.Oh & Dr. Srikath have the same protocol . They used to assist eachothers surgeries .

Sheryl R.
on 2/2/09 6:22 am - Buckley, WA
Hi Kathy,
You've done so well!  Yes I live and work in Buckley.  I work for the school district.  I wonder if we've ever run across each other at Rose's or something? Small world, huh.

Only "obese" now!

PinkFlamingoes
on 2/2/09 11:33 am - Buckley, WA

Too funny . I live & work in Buckley , as well . I work at Rainier school .

One (or two) thing about Dr. Srikanth : His patients love him & you can't argue with his patients success' . Excellent choice for a surgeon .  Kathy

Amy R.
on 2/3/09 1:16 am
Hi Sheryl,

I know I'm joining this thread kind of late but just wanted to add my 2 cents!

Dr. Srikanth is one of the strictest WLS ever!  But he ROCKS!  I had a really hard time for a while pre-op with some bad issues and he called me at home all the time to make sure everything was going okay and all was well (or as well as could be).  He also helped me at the hospital when I had an awful time with one of the nurses - he stuck up for me and he didn't even know that I could hear what he was saying so I know he wasn't just being "nice".

Since surgery I've had to call his office a few times and they are awesome too.  Even now, if I have a question that I really need HIM to answer, sure enough, I'll get a phone call (sometimes late at night - but so what?)

Anywho, the long days without food suck at first but you do get used to them, and I have had FAR less dumping and/or foaming issues than lots of folks on the board.  So be re-assured; you are in great hands!  I swear I have probably  been one of  his most challenging cases because of other stuff I had/have going on and he has never blinked an eye or made me feel bad in any way.

You are very very lucky to have him as your surgeon.

best of luck to you on your RNY,
the other amy
Most Active