Know any doc who will do RNY to DS revision in WA?

Hanan Y.
on 1/30/09 7:27 pm - Olalla, WA
I had a RNY gastric bypass done by Dr. Strain of WISH Ctr in 2005.  I had not so great wt. loss during the first year and have since gained 55 of 85 lbs back.  I am wanting to have my RNY revised into a DS but don't know of any area MD who might do it.  I know Dr. Srikanth will not I have already done a consult.  I cannot afford to consult with every WA state bariatric surgeon.  Does anyone know of a doc who has or is willing to do this?
Thanks,  Hanan
Troche35
on 1/30/09 7:39 pm
kataryn
on 1/31/09 5:26 am, edited 1/31/09 5:26 am - WA
Unfortunately, DS surgeons are few and far between in WA state, let alone ones who do revisions ... I know Dr John Rabkin in San Francisco is a very talented revsion surgeon and a huge proponent of the DS.  We have DS support group meetings once a month in Tukwila, and Dr Rabkin attends every other month.  We have several revision patients who attend regularly.  The next meeting is Valentine's Day Feb 14th, but the dr won't be there ... he should be back in March. 

Let me know if you want more information.  :)  You might also stop by the DS message board and say hi!

Hanan Y.
on 2/2/09 4:22 pm - Olalla, WA
Thanks for the info. kataryn!  Where do you have your meetings at?
Kathy H.
on 2/1/09 7:54 am - Kent, WA
sorry, Hanan. Srikanth will do a VBG to RNY revision, but that's about it, and he's probably your best hope in Washington. I don't think Oh gets into revisions at all.

The closest is Rabkin in San Francisco, and he's a VERY well-respected revision surgeon. Unfortunately, he wants 2/3 of his surgeons fee up front, and then they'll reimburse you anything your insurance covers. He's not in network for Aetna (my insurance company), so I had to look elsewhere.

Below you'll find breadcrumbs to a post that lists DS surgeons, and whether or not they do revisions. Of course, you'll want to keep in mind that most of the information here is strictly subjective - based soley on opinions. But it'll give you a place to start, anyway.

Feel free to PM me, if you'd like. I've researched my eyes bloodshot on this... though I'm not starting out with an RNY like you are.  Revisions are very tricky, and you want to be careful when you're choosing your surgeon.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/3808137/List-of-DS-Surgeons-Performing-Not-Performing-Revisions/

Take good care and the best of luck!

Kathy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

Hanan Y.
on 2/2/09 4:25 pm - Olalla, WA
Great info, thanks for taking the time to post and for the PM offer.  Too bad things have to be sooo complicated sometimes!
Kathy H.
on 2/1/09 7:56 am, edited 2/1/09 7:57 am - Kent, WA
I would also encourage you to spend some time on the DS board.

There are several regular posters that are RNY to DS revisions.

Edited to add this: And yes, *please* come to the DS support group meeting on the 14th. It's at the southcenter sizzler, beginning at 3pm. No RSVP needed and I'd be happy to meet you there! Denise (Dapme) also attends regularly, as does Michelle (Vitalady)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

Hanan Y.
on 2/2/09 4:27 pm - Olalla, WA
Thanks!  I might see if I can trade a day at work.  It sounds like there could be some info to be had!
PinkFlamingoes
on 2/2/09 11:57 am - Buckley, WA
Dr. Oh does do revisions . But , I believe he only does Proximal RNY to Distal RNY . I don't believe he will revise a RNY to a DS . He does do DS' , though . We need more choices in Washington .

nancy6
on 2/2/09 1:01 pm - Tacoma, WA
Hi, Hanan - I would suggest you talk with Michelle (Vitalady).  She has worked with lots of people who have had revisions and has lots of contacts.  Check out www.vitalady.com for her contact info.  I'm sure she'd be happy to chat with you and give you the options she is aware of.  Good luck!

~Nancy~

Most Active