Protein Shakes

Kathy P.
on 1/26/09 2:35 pm - Port Orchard, WA

Okay, so my RNY is scheduled for 2/9. I'm doing my pre-op food plan, whi*****ludes protein shakes. My surgeon is not real big on the protein powders, but I can use them if I want to. I actually prefer the shakes that all I have to do is "shake and sip". I've been using the Chocolate Slim Fast, which I REALLY REALLY LIKE, but NOT the low carb kind. I have a couple of questions:

1) is the sugars in the slimfast too much? I don't want to dump

2) anyone tried the brands at Costco? I think one was Muscle Milk? I hate to buy a big case and not like the taste.

I'm planning for post-op now, as I will have liquid diet for one week, then thin puree for one week, then thick puree for another week.  Stocking up on Low Sodium Chicken Broth, and a wonderful Red Bell Pepper and Tomatoe Soup (Pacifica brand from Costco).

Any suggestions would be great!

Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
Beetle
on 1/26/09 11:03 pm - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
Make sure to read the labels carefully - some have WAY more calories and sugar than others.

Will you dump? Maybe..... only about half of us do (I don't).

Many people will tell you NOT to shop ahead too much because their taste buds changed a lot after surgery.

Good luck with it all.

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

jillianD
on 1/26/09 11:15 pm - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
I would be careful.  A good rule of thumb is nothing with more than 10 grams of sugar per serving.  Watch that tomato soup too.  I know a lot of people who like muscle milk, I personally like Nectar and Click. Do you go to a support group?  Some times people have extra samples they don't mind sharing... Or buy some samples off the net.
Most people hate protein drinks right out the gate, your sense of smell and taste is really ramped up.  You just really need to find a way to fix it so that you can get it down.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 1/27/09 12:23 am - WA
If you live near Auburn give me a call if you would like to stop in and try some shakes(canned or powder). I try and stay below 12 sugars but everyone is different.

Merrilou (253) 939-8865
Cheryl N.
on 1/31/09 2:03 pm - Des Moines, WA
Hey there!!  My NUT told me that Dr. Landers likes muscle milk.  Who is your NUT? Mine's Rhonda.   :) 

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Kathy P.
on 2/1/09 3:27 pm - Port Orchard, WA
hey Pix,

Good to know Dr. Landers has a preference. I will pick some up at Costco. My NUT is Lauren. She is very sweet, but I'm not feeling to confident with her. Seems like she is pretty young and doesn't have a whole lot of information for me.
  Glad to see you are up and around!

Kathy
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.

PinkFlamingoes
on 2/2/09 11:51 am - Buckley, WA
Kathy , You need to watch your carb count , as well as sugar count . Carbs may not make you sick (or may) but often cause awful gas post-op . Karin is right about dumping . I don't dump , either . I get sick to my stomach if I eat  too much fat . My cousin does dump . Champion brand shakes mix really smooth , without a blender . That's what I use at work . I've never tried Muscle Milk . I bought a ton of sample sized packages of shakes to use as a new post-op . Also , Sample post-op , at either Marylou's or Vita Lady's . It's amazing how our tastes change  . Kathy

Kathy P.
on 2/2/09 2:23 pm - Port Orchard, WA
Thanks for all the information! I am several different types of shakes this week, pre-op. Carbs was a good reminder. I'm looking for 0 to 2 g. sugar and very low carbs with HIGH protein.
I was surprised to see the BOOST HIGH PROTEIN had a ton of carbs and sugar!

Where do I find "samples"??

Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.

Mola
on 2/4/09 8:11 am, edited 2/4/09 8:11 am - WA

Hi Kathy P.

I'm also in Port Orchard! You can purchase samples from vitalady.com and if you go to the support group in Bremerton at Harrison, she delivers, so no shipping charges.

I agree about the tastes changing and about Champion Nutrition being a good protein drink.

Good luck!

Wag more, bark less.

Most Active