Panniculectomy help

m0mmy0f3
on 1/23/09 11:23 am

Hi everyone. I have been enjoying searching these message boards and I finally decided to sign up as I need some advice.
Here's my story short:
I used to weigh 500lbs. in 2004. I currently weigh 325 and I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in April of '08. (where I found that I had lost significant weight). My A1C was at a 10 (fasting blood sugar was at 420 that time)... Ok, I changed my "ways" and have since brought my A1C down to 6.3 (taking Metformin only) and lost another 50 lbs. bringing me down to my current weight of the 325.. Here's my problem.. I have a HUGE pannus... Like a grade 4 or 5. I really just want it off. I have all the problems that everyone has with a large pannus and I am basically stuck at this weight, I've seemed to stop losing any weight. Ok, well, I want to get a panniculectomy BAD and I went to a PS last week to get my insurance to deem it "medically necessary" (which of course it is) and basically was told he did not do that kind of procedure and was looked upon like a piece of garbage. (Probably because of my current weight) They didn't tell me on the phone that he didn't do that though... I was SO depressed. They did, however, tell me that usually weight loss surgeons do that, so that began my search.. I found Dr. Srikanth and he is highly recommended. I started thinking about doing the LAP Band or the Sleeve Gastrectomy and put in all my info for that and have made my initial consultation appt. BUT... all I really want is a panniculectomy. Do you think I can just tell him at my appt. that I'm not really concerned that much with my weight (don't get me wrong.. I'd be fine if I were in the 200's, but feel I can do it myself if I can get MOVING without this huge "thing" hanging on me)? I have read and read.. AND READ about this and I have seen a number of people in my boat that really need their pannus removed because of the facts that exercising and just moving are so difficult that this needs to be done BEFORE any more weight loss. Anybody have any advice, info, etc. for me before I see Dr. Srikanth and tell him that actually, I'd be SO HAPPY if he can just do a panniculectomy??? I would SO appreciate any of your help. Thank you!!

PinkFlamingoes
on 1/23/09 1:46 pm - Buckley, WA
I hate to be negative . But , I seriously doubt that a WLS will do a Panniculectomy , when you aren't a WLS pateint . I could be wrong . I applaud how well you've done on you're own . I don't think you should have WLS , just to have a panniculectomy . The University of Washington has a plastic surgery department . You could check with them . What about your primary doctor ? Can you get any ideas from him/her ? Don't give up .

m0mmy0f3
on 1/23/09 3:31 pm
Thanks for replying. I prob. should've been more clear. I'm wanting a panniculectomy BUT if he won't do that, then I will talk with him about doing the LAP Band (I don't think my insurance will approve a Sleeve Gastrectomy since it's new) because I obviously need to lose the weight. I just feel, for my body, I would be fine with just the panniculectomy.
Everytime I call or email a PS Center, they talk to me like I'm an alien when I say I want a panniculectomy. They either don't do that type of surgery, only abdominoplasty, or they don't go through insurance. I have to go through insurance or I do nothing at all. My primary dr. agrees with me because she knows it's important for me to move in order to lose the rest of my weight and if it's difficult because of my stomach, then a panniculectomy is what I need to do... Besides the skin infections and so on... Thanks for any of your imput!
Sarahlicious
on 1/23/09 11:26 pm - Portsmouth, OH
Hi,

I started weighing over 500lbs, I had WLS and lost down to 280 and then had a panniculectomy. I went to a University based plastic surgeon. What are the major university's in your state? Which have Schools of Medicine and either have their own hospital...like Ohio State's hospital is The Ohio State University Hospitals and Clinics, but here in Miami, the Univ. of Miami's school of med works with Jackson Memorial. First, this surgeons are such leaders in their fields that they TEACH, and second they will work with insurance.

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

m0mmy0f3
on 1/23/09 3:36 pm
Oh! Sorry, I forgot to add... I found when I was looking for a surgeon that Dr. Srikanth does abdominoplasties and  panniculectomies from his profile on this site.. So that's also why I thought he'd be good.. Plus he understands the harships of overweight people.
jillianD
on 1/25/09 3:17 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
I don't know Dr S, but I also think you should contact the University of W.  Bravo on all your work so far.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

-kimber-
on 1/25/09 10:50 am - Burlington, WA

Congrats on your weight loss. I know that there are some Plastic Surgeons at Virgina Mason who does the Panniculectomy. You can call there also for a consult..

Kimber

Highest 418 lbs 12/04/2007- Surgery 336 lbs 11/11/08 -Goal Weight 180 lbs
m0mmy0f3
on 1/25/09 10:56 am

Thanks for that info!! I might check into that!!

Most Active