Question on revisions: Lap to DS

condanchri
on 1/18/09 4:21 am - Orting, WA
Revision on 08/11/15

Hello there - I am new to this board, but I'm hoping some of you may be able to answer my question:

I previously had the lap band, and had it removed in December, after four years, and not such a good experience.  I am looking to have a DS (I don't have a super-obese BMI, but I am currently at 43.5).  My insurance will cover surgeries from Dr.'s Oh and Srikanth in Federal Way - does anyone know if they do the DS?  I'm not interested in the RNY, but want the DS (I know I'm being kind of specific ). 

Thanks in advance for any information.

maxs_mom
on 1/18/09 6:09 am - Auburn, WA

~Namaste~

I know that Dr. Srikanth does DS.  I'm not sure about Dr. Oh.

Have you considered VSG?  It's basically the first part of DS; the gastrectomy without any intestinal bypass.  If you're interested in it, you can review my profile/blog and/or send me a PM.

I wish you much luck on your journey towards a healthier, happier, and longer life!

Amy

Kathy H.
on 1/18/09 7:40 am, edited 1/18/09 7:40 am - Kent, WA
Dr Shrikanth does DS, and has been doing them since the early 90s, when he spent time working with Dr Anthone (who is a very well-respected DS surgeon).

I'm not sure if you'll be considered a revision or not. Your band is removed, and your stomach wasn't surgically altered, so maybe not.

I really like Dr Shrikanth, and from what I understand, he's a skilled surgeon. If I were a virgin tummy and not a revision, I'd definitely be using him as my surgeon.

I suggest you attend one of his seminars and ask questions.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

condanchri
on 1/18/09 5:11 pm - Orting, WA
Revision on 08/11/15
Thanks Kathy & Maxs_Mom - It's so nice to connect with people from my part of the world!  I am scheduled to attend Dr. Shrikanth's seminar tomorrow night, and I am VERY excited to do so.  I will ask all about the DS (I've done lot's of research, and will come prepared with many questions for him), as well as the VSG.  Honestly, having gone through 4 years of the Band, I want to make sure this is my LAST WLS, and I want to know that it will work - or rather, that I will be able to work this "tool" more effectively than I was able to with the Band.

Thanks for your help - I met Dr. Shrikanth during a "Bandster Bash" held at the Sea-Tac Marriot two years ago.  I really liked him then, and I'm sure I will like him tomorrow night too.  Of course, the part that is the most important to me is his skill as a surgeon (even more than whether or not I like him ).  Sounds like he may fit that bill too - thanks for your information and advice.  I really appreciate it.

Most Active