Support Group

Tammi Sandoval
on 1/12/09 11:16 am - monitor, WA
Has anyone heard of a support group in Wenatchee Wa. or surrounding Towns?
Thankyou inadvance Tammi
maxs_mom
on 1/13/09 4:39 am, edited 1/13/09 4:40 am - Auburn, WA

~Namaste~

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to your question but wanted to post *something* lest you feel frustrated or ignored.

I looked at the OH groups and didn't find any support groups listed in your area of WA.  My suggestion would be to call your local hospital (they should have a community liaison person for things like healthy living workshops, community outreach programs, etc.) and ask if they know of any bariatric support groups.  I see that your surgeon is in Seattle.  Are there any bariatric surgeons in Wenatchee?  If so, call those offices and ask about support groups.  If you have the time and/or inclination, you could start your own group; really just plan an informal gathering at your home or local library meeting room and post an announcement here, maybe on Craig's List,  local paper (community service announcements should be free), etc.  And of course, everyone in this WA Forum and other OH Forums is here to support you as best we can via the internet.  I think that both Yahoo and Google Groups have WLS support groups and you may be able to find a geographically closer person or two for in-person support.

Finally, I know it would be a bit of a drive for you (Yahoo Maps indicates that the distance between Wenatchee and Issaquah is around 130 miles), but I would like to formally invite you to the WA OH MEMBERS GET TOGETHER that I'm hosting on SATURDAY 01/24/2009 from 2:00 - 4:00 PM in the meeting room at the Issaquah Library (see http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/WA/3832670/SAT-01-24-2009- WA-GET-TOGETHER-FOR-OH-MEMBERS/ ).  If you are free that day, perhaps you could find others in your area or along the way (Leavenworth, Cle Elum, Roslyn, etc) that would like to carpool to the support group.  Or, maybe you could ask a family member or friend to go for a road trip and while you’re at the meeting, they can go shopping just down the road in Bellevue or Seattle.  This event is also listed in facebook; do a search for “
WA OH MEMBERS GET TOGETHER" if you use facebook.

I wish you continued success on your weight loss journey,

Amy

Tammi Sandoval
on 1/13/09 6:30 am - monitor, WA
Thankyou that was so kind for u to respond
let me know of another meeting u have that would be fun to meet. How, where do u get your info for your meetings? Bless You Tammi
maxs_mom
on 1/13/09 3:02 pm - Auburn, WA
~Namaste~

I find support groups in two ways:

1) My surgeon's office
2) This very forum

You can look in "Groups" on the menu across the top of the page and it takes you to a place where you can search by key word, location, etc.

*I* don't really have a support group - I chose to organize and host the 01/24/09 meeting in Issaquah after there was some chatter on the board about getting together.  One of the things on my "agenda" for the very informal meeting is a discussion about whether we want to plan regular get togethers, if the hosting can be done in a round robin style, if we can try to move meetings throughout the State so that those not in the I-5 Corridor don't feel left-out.

I look forward to meeting you soon,

Amy

Most Active