Pannus Frustration

Dreamingirl80
on 1/11/09 1:48 pm - Shelton, WA
I've never wandered to the Washington room... pretty silly really.

I'm hoping I can get some suggestions. I had gastric bypass in Aug of 2007. I've lost 145 lbs but am now suffering with a massive pannus. I am still 304 lbs. I started this journey well over 450 pounds. My bypass surgeon talked to me about pannus removal because its so massive. He has estimated 40-50 lbs. As you can imagine, its becoming almost debilitating. My weight loss so far is great yet now I have so much weight pulling on my back that I'm in constant pain. I saw a plastic surgeon who was a run of the mill snip off 2 to 3 lbs doctor who was incredibly mean telling me that my stomach was the most "disgusting thing he had ever seen". I guess I should have known it was going to be a horrible experience when his wife came in talking about how she was fat for gaining 4 pounds while in Paris for a month. My visit with him put me into a major depression. I cried for days afterwards. He told me that I would probably die and made it obvious that he didn't believe I had even had the gastric bypass. My bypass surgeon unfortunately retired and cannot be of help to find a surgeon who is capable of this surgery. I do have tricare and they have approved my request to see another plastic surgeon. They just keep referring me to this same jerk.

Anyone have any advice? I'd greatly accept it! Thanks so much!

Mdae
on 1/11/09 2:14 pm
i unfortunately don't have any advice, but i wanted to say that i'm sorry you've had such an awful experience...  you should report him or something...   isn't there a plastics board here on OH?  maybe someone there knows of a good surgeon that isn't too far?

best of luck to you.  (((hugs)))
pam H.
on 1/11/09 10:22 pm - Renton, WA
I am so sorry that any medical professional would treat you that way. I was at a support group a couple months ago where Dr Gavin Dry spoke and showed extensiive slides of his patients. He specializes in PS for people who have had massive weight loss. It is a subspecialty now within PS. I would recommend that you see a surgeon who specializes in PS for us! The lady sitting next to me had a lower body lift by him andshe had beautiful results and raved about him. He seemed genuinly compassionate, and stated that he had been obese himelf, and had lost 90 pounds .I would definitely check him out. He is in Kirkland. You can read about him on the PS forum. I am about 100 pounds and thousands of dollars away from PS, but I will definitly be consulting with him in the future. My insurance won't cover PS, so I have cut back to 1 latte/ week or less. Maybe Tricare will cover him for you. I would consult with at least 3, and see if you can speak to former patients . Hang in there !

jillianD
on 1/11/09 11:14 pm - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Sorry you have had such an awful experience.  Make sure you comlain to tricare about his behavior.  Are you ever seen at madigan?  They have a plastics surgery dept.

Good luck in your quest!!!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Truemans_Mom
on 1/14/09 4:40 am - Edmonds, WA
Pannus is a big problem for  people with large weight loss, but just think after surgery you will weight 254 or so! and not hurt and get around so much easier! The body lift sounds like it is the prefered way to go and the pictures I have seen before and after were amazing.
Keep looking for the right doc. This fellow clearly had no clue what you have been through and what a huge accomplishment you have achieved so far.  I hear good things about a clinic in T.J. if Tricare won't approve a doctor that you like.

Jan D.

PinkFlamingoes
on 1/14/09 1:26 pm - Buckley, WA
Unfortunatly many surgeons won't even deal with insurance , anymore . Keep trying to get a name through Tri-care . That surgeon sounds really arrogant . I don't blame you for being upset . I would have been devastated . You aren't going to get the mobility you need until you get this done . Did anyone take over Dr. Weber's practice ? If so , they may be able to offer some good names .

Most Active