Six years living with the band (X-post)

VickiStevens
on 1/9/09 11:59 am - Tacoma, WA
Today is my six year bandiversary.  Yep, six years ago today, Dr. Srikanth placed my band in me.  I am not going to lie to you and say I have never had an issue with my band, but I will tell you that I have learned to live very happily with my band.

My band and I like each other - I like it because it gives me a normal life and it likes me because I keep it healthy! 

I know that to keep my band healthy, I have to eat properly and not abuse the band.  I know that my band allows me to live the life that I want to live.  I know that the band allows me to get through stressful situations (let's talk four family members diagnosed with cancer in a 2 1/2 month timeframe and two of them being terminal - stage 4 lung cancer and stage 3 pancreatic cancer) without resorting to pigging out and gaining weight.   I know that my band is my lifeline. 

With my band, I easily maintain my weight at 130 pounds.  I wear a size 4.  I wear bikinis on the beach.  I wear my clothes with confidence.  I live my life knowing that no one is looking at me whispering about my size. 

I cannot imagine my living the way I used to live.  I cannot imagine not doing yoga for my emotional and physical well-being.  I cannot imagine not going on 4-5 mile walks.  I cannot imagine not being considered "thin."  Yes, I have even been called skinny!  I cannot imagine not being me.  But I know that the "me" that exists is due to Dr. Srikanth and my band.

Enjoy your band, or whatever surgery you decided on, but take care of it so one day you too can happily celebrate your 6-year aniversary!
Vicki
Starting weight: 240 Current weight: 130
MARCIAM
on 1/9/09 12:54 pm - Sayville, NY
Congratulations Vicki! What a tremendous job you have done!
Happy Bandiversary!

Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

VickiStevens
on 1/9/09 12:57 pm - Tacoma, WA
Thank you!  And how are you doing?  You look wonderful.

Take care,
Vicki
prek-3
on 1/9/09 8:40 pm - Hollywood, FL
Hi Vicki!
I was wondering how you were doing!!!! So glad you are doing so well! Lately alot of posts with some of the veterans have been about struggling, not to say that you may not have had your moments, but, seeing you post is wonderful and so inspirational for all of us here.
        Sounds as if "life is happening", but you are getting through quite nicely. Are you doing some work for your doctor's office? Or I'm I thinking of someone else? Please don't be a stranger, come by more often.
        Also, how long did it take you to get to your goal? What have been some lifestyle changes you have found to be effective for you?
Thanks again for posting,
Prek-3

Nov 10,2009 I reached GOALL BYE  BYE  130 POUNDS! It wasn't about the FOOD, it was about what was eating at YOU!  Time for a Head adjustment!    **July 2011 Plastic Surgery Lower Body Lift

Exercise    is not a LUXURY!

Exercise  is a  NECESSITY

VickiStevens
on 1/10/09 12:06 am - Tacoma, WA
You are right, life is happening.  But with the band, I am able to handle life happening without blowing it!  That is a huge thing for me.

I did a radio spot for my doctor and I do seminars for him.  Also, I was leading the band only support group, but for the last few months they have been doing combined support groups.  I am not sure if they are going to stick with that format or go back the the separate support group meeting.  I have to check with the office on that, but quite frankly, I've been too busy to do anything on it!

You are right, that even with my continued success there are those "moments."  For me, I can almost always (99% of the time) pinpoint the cause.  And the cause is usually, stress, travel or dehydration.  And when I feel it, I can actually tell based on how water is going through, I just go easy and all is well.

I don't recall exactly how long it took me to get to goal.  But it was less than 1 1/2 years.  I know that by the summer of 2004 I was wearing bikinis and that was at full weight loss.  So, since I didn't keep good track - I always say it was "within 18 months" but I really think it was more like about 15-16 months. 

Take care,
Vicki
Shelley S.
on 1/10/09 1:02 am - Ft Lewis, WA
Happy Bandiversary!!!!! You have done a fantastic job and let me tell those who haven't met her in person...her pictures do her NO justice! She's cute as a button!!!

VickiStevens
on 1/10/09 7:56 am - Tacoma, WA
I think I'm blushing!  Seriously, thank you. 
Vicki
jillianD
on 1/10/09 1:54 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Happy Bandiversary!!! 

I am so happy you are well and dealing ok with all the emotional struggles you have come up against lately.  Know that we are here for you, good times and bad.

Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

VickiStevens
on 1/10/09 7:58 am - Tacoma, WA
Thanks Jilly, I appreciate it.  I know I need to make the time to be on here more often, it's just been hard to do lately.  It's been basically family and work and not much else.  Things will settle down though.  I know they will.

Take care.
Vicki
Helen_Anne
on 1/10/09 4:37 am - Bremerton, WA
Happy Bandiversity!!!

Vicki you are such an inspiration to all of us... you have been so successful!!! 

You are so correct... while we have a WLS tool.... but we do need to eat healthy... exercise regularly.. take our supplements... and drink our water.... and seek out support to help us dealing with this  new way of life

Congrats on all your successes...

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

Most Active