Looking for a support group

Debbie P.
on 1/6/09 12:20 pm - Cosmopolis, WA
Hey Everyone!

I live near Aberdeen, Washington.  I have been looking for any wls support group.  I am willing to drive as far as Olympia.  Does anyone know of any??

Thank you in advance!
Deb
      Started 274 / Current 154 / Goal 160       
maxs_mom
on 1/6/09 8:04 pm - Auburn, WA

Hello!

I just did a quick search through the groups listed on OH and the closest that I can find would be Tacoma or Bremerton - which is a long way to drive for a support group meeting!

My Mom lives in Aberdeen and works at the hospital.  She's seen WLS patients at the hospital being treated for a variety of issues so I know some post-ops are lurking somewhere.  Perhpas you coud call Grays Harbor Community Hospital at 360-532-8330 and ask them if they either have or know of any local bariatric support groups.

My other suggestion would be to start your own - put an ad on Craig's List, the local free paper, community service broadcasts to local radio, bulletin boards at libraries, grovcery stores, etc. and see how it goes.   Right now your only goal would be to identify the WLS pwtients in your community, get themn together for an informal meting anf then you could go from there.  That wouldn't be too scary!

And finally, I know it's a long trip, but I'm hosting a WA FORUM MEMBERS GET-TOGETHER on Saturday 01.24/2009 from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM and I would love to see you there!

Amy

Debbie P.
on 1/7/09 5:15 am - Cosmopolis, WA
Amy -

Thank you for your response and thoughtful suggestions. 

I will make the call to find out if anyone is hosting one that haven't heard about.  I have seen several people on here from my area and it is surprising that there is not one, even in Olympia.

I am considering starting one myself.  I have to finish up college first.  I work full time and am taking classes on-line until June.  When that is complete something will definitely be on the agenda.

Take Care!
Deb
      Started 274 / Current 154 / Goal 160       
vitalady
on 1/12/09 12:18 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I'm just a teeny past Olympia. 6 miles off I-5 (Hwy 512 E) in Puyallup.

This week, Tues & WEd, 7pm. Many of us Are Oh or Srikanth patients, so we follow a similar program. Support person is always welcome and being right on time is not critical. Lots of traffic in this area, so we have a lil latitude.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Most Active