Did I get MS or Fibromyalgia from my surgery?

Danielle H.
on 1/6/09 3:19 am - Puget Sound, WA
VSG on 04/06/07 with

Hello, My name is Danielle and I was wondering if you folks might be able to help me. I had a VSG in April of 2007 and got pregnant 6 months later. The pregnancy went fine besides loosing a ton more weight and hardly being able to keep food down for most of the time.  3 months post partum I have developed numbness and tingling in my hands and feet and sometimes I have really bad pain in my spine with zappy feelings in my back. My muscles feel weak sometimes and twitch a lot.  I feel overwhelmed with depression and sometimes have full blown panic attacks. I am afraid I am dying.  The soles of my feet and my hands turn bright red and feel so numb sometimes.  I lost the tastebuds on half of my tongue (They grew back in a week) and get white patches inside my right cheek (Like I bit my cheek while chewing).  I get a rash on my arms when I carry something. Not like a raised bumpy rash, but a rash like under my skin,blotchy red. It goes away in a few minutes. I wake up at night in a panic and have a hard time going back to sleep. I get dizzy when I first stand up and I get constipated a lot.(sorry, TMI) Also my hands and feet get cold a lot. I am losing hair like crazy. I have dry skin and chapped lips chronically. My hands shake a lot too. Sorry this is so scatterbrained sounding, that is just how my brain is lately. I have three children, only one was born post VSG. I read that weight loss surgery can sometimes bring MS or Fibromyalgia on in patients. Did I doom myself? Or does this sound like something else?

The only thing I have been told is I may be deficient in some vitamins. I admit I have eaten not good since surgery and I havenot take a vitamin regularly since surgery. Any feedback is so appreciated!!!

Thank you! 

I have had MRI's on mt brain and neck. I have seen a neuro and Chiropractor.  MRI's were normal, only one small cyst that doc was not concerned about.

val_aiken
on 1/6/09 6:15 am - Port Angeles, WA
Have your Thyroid levels checked
Val
Hislady
on 1/6/09 2:48 pm - Vancouver, WA
None of those sound like symtoms of fibro or MS and I've never heard of WLS causing either one. I have fibro myself and had it long before I ever had surgery. You need to see a competant doctor and get something for a. your depression and anxiety because that in itself can bring on some of those feelings. I think you need to see a good PCP and not a WLS doc for these symptoms. But again I've never heard of surgery bringing on either of those diseases.
Danielle H.
on 1/6/09 3:42 pm - Puget Sound, WA
VSG on 04/06/07 with
Bless you for saying that it does not sound like MS or Fibro!! It gives me a little hope!! I have not gotten any input or answers from doctors, they just stare and offer me Zoloft. Which I tried by the way and I thought I would die on thethird day of taking it!  I felt hysterical and suicidal. My husband cried and held my while I shook uncontrollably most of the night long.  Needless to say I stopped taking it. I am scared to try any others.

jillianD
on 1/6/09 11:16 pm - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
First of all, start taking your vitamins!!!!  You need a good blood work up, being deficient in your b vitamins( numbness, tingling) and protein (hair loss) will cause most of your symptoms.  Get an appt with a nut, go over your diet and start eating healthy. 
You didn't have this surgery to be miserable and thin, you wanted to be healthy right?

Oh And I don't know about your intrinsic factor for b-12, so take in in the sub-lingual form under the tongue.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

vitalady
on 1/12/09 12:21 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Nooooooooooooo. Those diseases existed long ago.

Did you get all those labs run we talked about?

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Most Active