Group Health DS DOC?

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/08 12:56 am - .., WA
Well, I'm a little bummed. I just got off the phone with Group Health, there is NO out of network coverage for Baratric Surgery.

Problem is I cant find a "IN Network" doc that will do the switch in Washington. The DS Surgery itself is an option on plan IF I can find a DS DOC. Does anyone know any?

I don't want the RNY or Band! If I have to do this I wan the one that works long term. The one that lets your little tummy work More normally :(
Cheryl N.
on 12/29/08 1:06 am - Des Moines, WA
Why don't you consider the lapband?  Go on lapband forum and read stuff. 

I don't want RNY, unless its a last resort.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Hislady
on 12/29/08 11:50 am - Vancouver, WA
Hope you find a doc, I kinda wish I'd known about other surgeries like the DS and VSG I think I would have been happier with one of them. If my ins. hadn't changed it might have been OK but so far I've now had to pay over $700 for fills and still isn't right. So may as well get the tiny tummy to begin with and work with that!
nean
on 12/31/08 12:07 pm - Tacoma, WA
Maybe someone would do the sleeve even if you can't find a DS doc in network. (don't know the amount of wt you want to loose or how many calories you want to eat postop - but the sleeve leaves a normal - but small - tumy)

"be willing to sit in the middle of the fear and fucking feel it." Lady Raven
www.obesityhelp.com/forums/gay_lesbian_bisexual_transgender
VSG 12/9/08  Highest 278, then lost #30 preop Goal 126 

Kilaani
on 1/11/09 2:10 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I've heard of folks with this same issue with Group Health. They pretty much make you get the rny or band or nothing. I had Group Health at one time, but had  moved on to no insurance by the time I got my DS. I went self-pay out of the country in order to get revised from the band to the DS. My BMI was 73.2 at the time I got the band in 2/98, it worked until 10/98 when it started mechanically failing with a leak and then I regained all 170lbs I had lost over the next 7 years. I was back up to a bmi of 73.2 when Dr. Baltasar in Spain took out my band and gave me the DS. It's been almost 4 years now and I love my DS!! 

Dr. Srikanth in WA does the DS, Dr. Oh does the DS reluctantly, and I think there may be a few others in WA that are starting to.

At least, since Group Health covers bariatric surgery, they won't deny you coverage afterwards of any follow up issues.

Jill - revision - band to DS 3/10/05 Dr. Baltasar, Spain
440/140/149  hw/cw/gw - 5'5" -300lbs -- bmi 73.2 to 24.8 :) GOAL MET 10/26/10!!.... Even made 140 September 2012. Been ranging 4-6lbs from 144-146 since then. Back to 140 December 2012, hoping to see it again after I feel better and start working out. 

Most Active