Hello Everyone, I had my surgery on Dec 16

(deactivated member)
on 12/18/08 10:56 am

Well for all of you that remember me from the get together at Sal****er state park and for those of you that I haven't met......... Hello.

I had proximal gastric bypass on Tuesday December 16 and so far I am doing well.  I don't have much pain just feels like I did 100 sit ups.  I am having a hard time getting in all my water.  I drink about 1 oz. at a time and then wait 10 minutes to drink another ounce.  If I drink more, or if I drink it too fast or too close together it comes back up.  Did any of you have this happen?

I am able to take my flinstones chewables but it a dream to even think about swallowing the iron tablets or vitamin D tablets I am suppose to be taking daily.  I am hoping as the days go by I will eventually beable to get those in,

Any advice for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.  So far I am feeling good and haven't had any regrets.  I was also very impressed with the care I got at St. Francis hospital.  From my Surgeon to all the nurses.  I thought they were all excellent and really caring.

Talk to you all later,

Take care.

kittykatzmom
on 12/18/08 1:23 pm - Mason co., WA
Congrats and welcome to the losers bench,
I was taking all my Vits when I left the hospital, dr. said it was ok as long as I could tolerate them, never have had a problem, drinking the water will get easier almost on a daily basis.
The best advice I have is get your rest and water, the rest will come easily. and you will improve daily.

good luck as you start on this wonderful new life.

~Cindy~

jillianD
on 12/18/08 2:15 pm - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Welcome home!  Sounds like you are doing just fine!!  You can crush your Vit D, it shouldn't taste too bad, no idea about the iron though.  Your drinking sounds normal to me, remember your very swollen inside, and will be for quite some time!

Congrats on your surgery!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

nancy6
on 12/19/08 1:03 pm - Tacoma, WA
Congratulations on your surgery!  Sounds like you are doing well...  Just keep sipping tha****er when you can and you'll be drinking more every day.  I remember that early on I couldn't drink much or very fast, either.  Just drink as much as you can without pushing it - it's no fun to have it come back up!!  I would suggest getting the chewable iron tablets (I get mine from Vitalady).  You have to take quite a few as they are only 25 mg. each, but they don't taste bad at all.  I get vitamins A, D and E as well as calcium in capsules and empty the capsules into a protein shake and they do well and really have no taste.  I get vitamin B complex, zinc and vitamin C in tablets and break them in half to get them down.  I know some dr's recommend you crush them (especially for the first few months) and take them in a protein shake as well.  I take a sublingual B12, too.  I don't know how many of the vitamins and supplements Dr. Srikanth recommends, but my dr. recommends all the above.  I get all my vitamins from Vitalady in Puyallup.  I know some people use liquid vitamins.  Enjoyhealth.com sells the liquid variety and I'm sure you can find it on other websites as well.  Merrilou owns Enjoy Health and she is located in Auburn.  It's great having a couple really good resources so close!

Anyway, congrats again on your surgery and I'm sure you'll just feel better every day.  Don't hesitate to post other questions or concerns or send a PM if you want.  Take care!

~Nancy~

jcheryld
on 12/20/08 11:57 am
Congratulations to you! I'm glad to hear that the pain wasn't too bad, and that you don't have any regrets. Looking forward to seeing your progress!
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/08 12:05 pm
Thank you! Before you know it your surgery day is going to be here.  Best wishes to you on your journey and remember each day gets better and better.
Most Active