Dr Oh...?

juicyprincess
on 12/11/08 4:49 am - Tacoma, WA
Does anyone know if dr oh does Ds laproscopicly? I went to his seminar and dont remember. I dont want DS but my meds might make it the only option.
PinkFlamingoes
on 12/11/08 5:12 am - Buckley, WA
I think you need to call them . I know he used to only do DS' open , but may do them lap , now . I don't know .

juicyprincess
on 12/11/08 5:22 am - Tacoma, WA
thanks, i called yesterday and just waiting (i dont think he does though)
jillianD
on 12/11/08 6:11 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
If you decide you want the DS  I wouldn't let lap or open sway you.  Everyone goes in hoping for lap but knowing it could get switched to open if necessary.  Have you considered getting sleeved?  It is the first part of the DS and usually done lap.  You don't have the malabsorption and you still get to take your meds too.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

juicyprincess
on 12/11/08 6:55 am - Tacoma, WA
I wouldnt totally rule out open, and i know any surgery could flip to open (I ironically work in research and we do a lot of bowel surgery drug studies). But i also would have a preference here.
I looked at the sleeve but its too similar in results to lapband. I decided once i really started looking that for me, if i was gonna have SURGERY to change my weight and life, i was going to go for one that gave GREAT results. And i dont want to ever have to have surgery again (again, i know i might need to in order to treat some type of condition but i dont want to say "well, if it fails, i could always have xyz").
I still have mixed feelings about the DS...i wont be really happy if that is the way i have to go because of my concern of severe malabortion, because of the stinky poop and gas (i see it on the ds page wayy too often) and i would really like to hope i am going to have dumping though i know its not a guarentee. But at this point i am trying to be realistic AND trying hard to keep an open mind. I emailed the surgeon to discuss my meds but i have a feeling he is going to say no rny (its only 1 drug that is an nsaid and its injection and its only about 1 or less times per month but i know how cautious he is and think thats gonna be the result, so then i must choose ds or nothing..).
Thanks for you thoughts
jillianD
on 12/11/08 11:44 pm - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
I am so glad you are up with you reaserch!  As far as the DS goes is there any reason they can't just make your bybass shorter?  I hear you on your medication.  I miss my ibuprofen.  I mostly wanted to make sure you were aware of all your choices, so many people are not.

juicyprincess
on 12/12/08 12:35 am - Tacoma, WA
i hadnt heard of making my bypass shorter other then the proximal, medial and distal thing, i already wanted proximal. but i would think that the problem with the nsaids is ulcer so the lenght of my common channel shouldnt matter (you were talking about rny werent you...or were you saying something about ds lenght??).
Sorry i am so out of it today.
where do you go for support meetings??
This has been great exchange, thatnks!!
jillianD
on 12/12/08 10:08 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
I usually go to the meeting at Madigan but I have been to Susan's in Tacoma.  She runs through Thick and Thin.  Its a little past parkland.  She is very knowledgeable.  I know most of the ladies there too.  Very cool group.

Maybe I will see you there after the holidays!

juicyprincess
on 12/13/08 12:23 am, edited 12/13/08 12:23 am - Tacoma, WA
Yeah, when is it? I would like to try all local ones and then keep them in my calendar so if i really need one, i know where and when. I will probably be a regular at st joes because its convient and i work there, but wanna try them all out and see which i actually prefer (if i do).
What does lenghening the common channel do in ds (less malabortion)? I didnt know you could ask for that...
It would be great to meet some of you in person, looking forward to it (especially after surgery when i can start losing)!
jillianD
on 12/13/08 11:33 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Its the 22nd at the summit branch library.  I think its from 5:30-7:30.  Susan will post a reminder a few days before.

Most Active